Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 220V 3wire bathtub steam generator

Thanks in advance for any advice...

I have a steam generator on a jacuzzi tub I purchased. It's input voltage is
    220-240V~50/60Hz 12.5-13.6A. It's a three wire input labeled Load, Neutral, and Ground.

How the heck do I get 220V at the Load terminal of this thing?
    4 pronged 220V seems like a no brainer. Everything I see referenced takes the 4 pronged which I'm assuming the appliance combines the two 110V internally to get 220V.

I'm comfortable with wiring. I ran a new 20 amp circuit to this bathroom as it stands now. 25ft of 12/2 from the subpanel.

Lastly, the steam generator runs when plugged into 110V although it's not listed as accepting 110V. The problem is I draw to much current if running the bubbles on the tub and the steam. I'm guessing I can perhaps re-run for 30amp 110V or just run a second 20amp 110V for the steam generator if getting 220V to this 3 pronged appliance is not possible.

Lastly for real this time... I'm assuming that running this thing at 110V v.s. 220V will draw less current. Correct?

no. at 220 the amperage is reduced by one-half. as voltage goes up amps goes down. can you send me a diagram of the heater/hot tub? I have a jacuzzi here at home that uses a separate circuit for the pump and a separate for the in tub heater.
    use my regular email address

Comment

Are you sure there is a neutral connection in this unit? It specifically says 240v, not 120/240v, so I would assume no neutral is required. Just two hots and a ground. Pretty much every steam genny I have wired was straight 240v.

In this case all you would need is 12/2 on a two-pole 20 amp breaker.

Comment

ALso, yes, in general, as you go up in voltage the amperage goes down. This is not always the case though.
        In any case the WATTAGE stays the same. You do NOT draw any less power at 240v than 120v. You are simply using less amperage, times two.
        IE: 10 amps @ 120 would typically be 5 amps @ 240v.
        10 x 120 = 1200 watts
        5 x 240 = 1200 watts

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post
          ALso, yes, in general, as you go up in voltage the amperage goes down. This is not always the case though.

what do you mean "this isn't always the case?"

In any case the WATTAGE stays the same. You do NOT draw any less power at 240v than 120v. You are simply using less amperage, times two.
          IE: 10 amps @ 120 would typically be 5 amps @ 240v.
          10 x 120 = 1200 watts
          5 x 240 = 1200 watts
          It is an inverse proportion and has always been that.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =