Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Breaker Panels

Greetings!

I am working on a double wide home we just recently had setup. Currently it has a 100amp G.E. (General Electric) Panel. There is no room to add anymore breakers. I want to switch the gas furnace (coleman presidential 2 77,000btu) to an electric furnace, gas hot water tank to electric and gas stove to electric. SO what I am really wanting is to make this Double wide total electric (outlets, lights, stove, water heater, ac, furnace, dryer, computers, and ect.)

I purchased another 100amp G.E. Main Box (20 1" spaces) with copper bus bar thinking I could just piggy back off the existing panel to give me a total of 200amps. The box at the pole will be 200amp. I would be using the new box pretty much just for the items I want to convert from gas to electric.

I did this rather than get a main lug sup panel because with using a 100amp sub panel tying to a 100am breaker in main box I still only get 100amps if I can pig tail off main than I can have a combined 200amps.

Do I have this all screwed up. I have already purchased the G.E. 100 amp main, so no matter what I need to make this work with my existing panel, I just need some guidance.
    Last edited by mdmaynard; 02-05-2007, 05:37 PM.

the downlead for a 200 amp service is 4/0-3 seu aluminum. there is no way in heck a 4/0 wire is going to fit a 100 amp breaker. a way you can get around this is to install a trough at the bottom or top of the two service entrance panels with its own 100 amp breaker. the #2 feeders to the panels are then spliced to the 4/0 cables. because the main cable is aluminum an oxidant MUST be used and split bolt connectors al and cu rated and torqued to manufacturer specs. You then tape up the splices.

Comment

Service entrance

Try this diagram see if this will work for you.

Comment

Thanks HayZee518!

I have read many posts and your replys and respect your opinion. After I posted I actually recieved the wire that will be running from the pole to the Double Wide and knew then that it was to big to do as I was thinking.

A huge huge huge thanks for the diagram, makes more sense to me now.

Just to double check, once I use a trough I can run 100am (in theory) to each panel? Is this correct?

Also just for clearification: On some other posts I see that when someone installs a 'sub-panel' the ground is isolated and not bonded. In my situation would I need to treat either panel as a sub or would they both be considered 'main'?

Comment

IF the original panel was feeding the second panel it would be called a sub panel, BUT because it will be coming off the mains it is a service panel and neutral bonding will be necessary, not isolated as in a sub-panel. The disconnecting means for the main cannot be more than 6 motions of the hand -- meaning not more than 6 disconnects. You are using only two motions so you are within the code.

Comment

Agains thanks for your feedback.

I apologize for using the incorrect term ". . .ground is isolated and not bonded", this should have Neutural should replace ground. in that sentence.

I will let you know how it all works out in the end.

Comment

you can contact me direct if you have yahoo im. handle there is buffalo12980

Comment

Working...
              X
              =