Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing a 220v outdoor line for a kiln

I am going to get a kiln and need to install an outdoor line for the kiln. Is there a webpage or somewhere to go to for some advise (other than "hire a pro")?

Azjoe_02,

Welcome to the forum. I would first ask the company that is suppling you the kiln for requirements and any assistance they might be able to provide.

Are you talking about a big 3-phase 220v kiln that is used to dry wood or are you using small single phase 220v kiln for pottery?

How far from your existing panel is the kiln going to be. Do you have any extra capacity in you existing panel? Are you going to bury the cable in the ground?

Lets us know some more details.

Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

I am buying it used, so no help there. It is for ceramics, so it "should" be a single phase, 220v. It is not that big (inside dimensions: 24"x27"). Also, yes there is room in the exsisting panel for another breaker. It will be about 25 or so feet from the breaker box and no it does not need to go underground. I can just go along the side of the house with the conduit and set-up the new outlet. What I really need to know is how to install the new breaker into the box and how to wire the breaker to the kiln.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

azjoe_02,

Since you are going outside you should spend the extra $ on a GFCI protected breaker. Here is a good link for connecting the new cable into your panel... http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/e...er/install.htm

At the other end of the cable you will either need a weather-proof outlet box or a weather-proof junction box depending if there is a plug or bare wires coming out of the kiln. If its a plug just take a sketch of it to your local hardware store and pick up the matching outlet. If it has bare wires... the black or red should be hot (110v) the white is neutral and green or bare copper is ground. You can connect like colors from your feed cable.

If you have a connection strip inside the kiln and no wire coming out, you will have to make the connections there, you should send us a sketch of the connectors or a description of it and any markings next to the connection points.

Good luck, Jim

Comment

I have installed about ten of these kilns over the years. It is important to find out the wattage of the unit. (Amperage/ voltage)
          As I remember, all the ones I've installed were 220/110 volt, 50 amp. For this you need to run three lengths of #6 wire (2 blacks and a white) and one length of #8 (green). The two blacks go to the 2 Pole circuit breaker (50 amp). The white goes to the neurtal bar in the circuit breaker panel, the green goes to the ground bar in the circuit breaker panel. (the neutrals and grounds might go to the same bar in your panel, all depends on locale and age of the panel and local code)
          The other end end goes to the receptacle.
          <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I am gonna give this a shot this weekend...

Comment

Hey guys, just to let you know, I installed the breaker and wired it to the recepticle and it all works. No fires or smoke! Thanks for all the help.

-Joe

Comment

No smoke or fires is always a good sign.

quote:Originally posted by azjoe_02

Hey guys, just to let you know, I installed the breaker and wired it to the recepticle and it all works. No fires or smoke! Thanks for all the help.

-Joe
                '....Question: ".....can I get a rough estimate over the phone to rewire my house?" ...' Answer: "Somewhere between one thousand and twenty thousand".
                <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

Working...
                X
                =