Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a 240 volt line to run a 120 volt lamp

I have a question....

Ok, my dad has what we call a "pump shed" at his house. It's a shed that was built over the top of a big cement pit. Inside of this big cement pit is a pressure tank for the well. (He has well water)

When we tore down the old shed and built the new one over the existing cement pit, we discussed installing a lamp inside the shed, and maybe even a receptacle in it. However, we were wondering if maybe we could tap off of one of the lines that runs the presure tank to power our light/receptacle? Also the same 240 volts that runs the pressure tank runs the well.

So would it be safe and possible to use one of the lines for this? Which hot lead should we use.....the red or the black?

Thanx.

Dawg,

What wire do you have running out there? Is it 12/2, 12/3 or something else? If you can't see it written on the cable jacket, look at the number and colors of the wires inside the cable.

Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
    'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

What are you referring to by 12/2 or 12/3? Wire gauge and how many?

As of now I'm not able to go and look. But what I can tell you is there's three wires running to it, a black, a red and a white.

Comment

technically you can tap into either the red OR black AND the white to get 120 volts. It doesn't matter which. (just not both the red AND black).
        12 is the gauge or size of the wire. this determines the amperage that the wire can deliver and correspondingly what the pump needs. 12 wire is normally used for a 20 amps (120 volts) circuit. 12/2 refers to two #12 wires PLUS a ground wire running together. (so it's actually 3 wires)....12/3 refers to three #12 wires PLUS a ground wire running together (so it's actually 4 wires). A bit confusing, I know. But that's the standard.
        <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

Working...
        X
        =