Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• outlets in the basement

I am needing info on adding additional outlets in my basement. Some of the problems are that the walls are finished, including the ceiling. I don't want to go "through" my attic. I am interested in something called 'runway', which is a type of conduit(?). Can I run the typical household wire(romex?) through this or must it be individual wires? I am not really concerned with the looks, just the function and safety.

use a product called Wiremold. And no, you don't use romex, use individual wires.
    But if you are not concerned with "looks", why not just use conduit? Sure would be cheaper.
    <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

The product you are speaking of is sometimes called "raceway" too. I am not sure some of the plastic raceway products are rated for electricity, I usually see them used for data and voice, etc. I agree with irregularjoe, why not just use conduit? It would be much cheaper, and safer too.

Comment

Sherry,

Welcome to the forum. Joey is right, I am wondering though if you understand that in Wiremold or any other conduit you run cables that contain wires. You do not strip the wires out of their protective outer sheath (normally pvc).

Some definitions:

Flexible armour cable (Also known as 'BX' a trade name)- available with either two or three insulated wires with an outer wrapping of paper and enclosed in a spiral wrapped galvanized steel armour. For general use in concealed or exposed areas, but may not be used in damp locations or outdoors.

Nonmetallic sheathed cable (Also known as 'Romex' a trade name)- also available with either two or three insulated wires with an outer wrapping of specially treated fabric braid or pvc jacket. Not to be used in damp locations.

Plastic-covered direct burial cable- this is a waterproof cable to be used in damp locations or underground.

I hope this helps, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
        'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

thanks for the help! I think I will be looking into the conduit. My experience with wire and cable is just a little different for household use; I'm a buyer for aircraft wire and cable! I'm sure I will be back with other questions!

Comment

Working...
          X
          =