Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new outlet installation

Hello, I am in the process of "finishing" my basement. I am planning to have a certified electrician do the actual "hook up" of the power, but I would like to help by preinstalling the outlet boxes, light switch boxes and overhead light fixture boxes. my question is about proper spacing for all? how far apart should outlets be and how high on the wall should the outlets and switches be and what "rules" do I need to know about overhead light installation (I am planning to have 6-8 recessed light fixtures and some small hanging fixtures over a bar and a couple of lights in 2 closets. also a special power outlet area for entertainment area (multiple outlets and a cat 5 outlet)
    thanks for any guidance someone may be able to provide
    -kirk

Kirk,

The standards I am used to say an outlet every 12 feet max and any wall longer than 2 feet requires an outlet. Height off floor is a totally functional choice.

Here is a article I found at on the web:

General outlet placement rules/line capacities

We paraphrase CEC 26-702 (NEC: 210-52 through 210-63)

Note: In laying out receptacle outlets, consideration shall be given to the placement of electrical baseboards, hot air registers, hot water or steam registers, with a view of eliminating cords having to pass over hot or conductive surfaces wherever possible.

NEC: You're not allowed to put outlets over electric baseboards. That, coupled with the spacing requirements, more or less mandates the use of baseboards with integral outlets. Note that such outlets are fed by a different branch circuit than the heating elements.

2. Except as otherwise required, receptacles shall be installed in the finished walls of every room or area, other than kitchens, bathrooms, hallways, laundry rooms, utility rooms or closets, so that no point along the floor line of any usable wall space is more than 1.8m (6') horizontally from a receptacle in that or an adjoining space, such distance being measured along the floor line of the wall spaces involved.

Fixed dividers, counters, etc., are considered wall space. Floor outlets do not satisfy the requirement unless they are ``near'' the wall. Insofar as practical, outlets should be spaced equidistantly.

3. At least one duplex receptacle shall be provided in each enclosed area such as a balcony or porch that is not classified as a finished room or area.

[NEC doesn't seem to have this rule.]

4. The receptacles referred to in (2) and (3) shall be duplex receptacles or equivalent number of single receptacles.

5. "Usable wall space" is defined as any wall space 900mm (3', NEC 2') or more in width, not to include doorways, areas occupied by a door when fully opened, windows which extend to the floor, fireplaces or other permanent installations that would limit the use of the wall space.

6. See kitchen counter requirements. At least one duplex receptacle in eat-in dining area.

[We don't think the latter part is in the NEC. Also, the NEC says that the two 20-amp small appliance circuits can't go outside of the kitchen, dining room, pantry, etc., nor can they be used for anything else, except for things like clock outlets, stove accessory outlets, etc.]

7. Receptacles shall not be mounted facing up in the work surfaces or counters of the kitchen or dining area.

8. No point in a hallway within a dwelling unit shall be more than 4.5m (15', NEC 10') from a duplex receptacle as measured by the shortest path which the supply cord of an appliance connected to the receptacle would follow without passing through an openning fitted with a door. (vacuum-cleaner rule).

9. At least one duplex receptacle shall be provided: in laundry room, utility room and any unfinshed basement area.

[NEC: see GFCI requirements. There must be a dedicated 20 amp laundry receptacle, with no other outlets, plus an additional unfinished basement receptacle. Any attic or crawl space with heating or air conditioning equipment must have a receptacle. (this is probably in the CEC too.)]

10, 11, 12, 13: See bathroom requirements, GFCI, washing machine outlet placement.

14, 15. Outlets shall not be placed in ironing cabinets, cupboards, wall cabinets, nor in similar enclosures except where they're for specific non-heating appliances (including microwave) in the enclosure.

[NEC: No such requirement.]

16, 17. For each single-family dwelling, at least one duplex receptacle shall be installed outdoors to be readily available from ground level (see GFCI requirements). Appendix B (additional notes) suggests front and back outlets to be controlled by an interior switch.

[NEC: One in front, one in back. No discussion of them being switched.]

18. At least one duplex receptacle shall be provided for each car space in a garage or carport.

[NEC: For an attached garage, or detached garage with electric service -- but there is no requirement that detached garages have power. This remark is probably relevant to CEC as well.]

19. For the purposes of this rule, all receptacles shall be of the grounding type, configuration 5-15R (standard 110V/15A 3 prong).

20. Any receptacle that is part of a lighting fixture or appliance that is > 1.7m (5 feet) above the floor, or in cabinets or cupboards, is not counted in the above rules.

21. Where a switched duplex outlet is used in lieu of a light outlet and fixture, the receptacle shall be considered one of the wall mounted receptacles required here.

22. At least one duplex receptacle shall be provided for a central vacuum system if the ducting is installed.

Capacities: Knight recommends no more than 10 outlets per circuit. Some US references talk about a limit of 12. There appears to be a wattage/area/outlet count calculation somewhere in the NEC. 20A circuits may have different rules.

It is open to considerable debate whether you should mix general lighting and outlets on individual circuits. Knight recommends it. Some netters don't. I tend towards the former for load balancing reasons.

NEC: There's a new rule on outdoor outlets. If exposed to the weather, and if used for unattended equipment (pool filters, outdoor lighting, etc.), the outlet must still be weatherproof even when the device is plugged in.

Hope this helps, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
    'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Working...
    X
    =