Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceiling fan - bypass remote for light?

Hi,

I have a Homestead ceiling fan with a light. It has a remote control that operates both the fan and light. No pull cord.

I have three wires coming out of the fan: white (ground), black (power) and blue (labeled "option").

Is there any way I can wire it so that the light will come on with the wall switch? I have an extra switch at the wall. It's ok if I have to use the remote to operate the fan, but it's a problem finding the remote control and the correct button in the dark!

Thank you.

Denny

do you have three wires at the fan location?? white, red, black and three wires red, white, black at the switch location? if you don't then the lights won't work independently of the fan.

Comment

wire colors

Hayzee518. Thanks for responding. I have white, black and blue coming out of the fan. The blue is labeled "option."

I can run what ever wires I need to the switch location. It's a short, straight run.

Comment

ok, the blue wire is for a lamp that mounts under the blades. I believe a molex connector plugs into this for a light. what you'll need topside is a 14 or 12/3 romex with ground cable. you'll run the three wire out of your switchbox to the ceiling box where the fan is mounted and connect up all the whites, black goes to the motor black and the red wire will go to the blue wire. all bare grounds go together and is grounded at the ceiling box and at the switch in the wall if you have a metal box. at the switch. hot black to fan hot and a pigtail out to the switch feed, whites together, load side off switch to the red wire.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =