Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• testing outlets

I want to know how to test an outlet if there is any power or current. I know u can just turn the circuit braker off but just incase...I have a phobia in working with wires for some reason. I had bought a multimeter and I was replacing a light fixture, even with the breaker off, I was still able to get some reading in the wires with my multimeter. So again if you can tell me the proper way of testing the outlets and light fixtures and what the voltage/current values should be whether on/off, I would appreciate it...thx.

prlim2000,

If the breaker is off and your multimeter is set for the proper range - 200v AC (pic #1)you should check the manual for details. If it is an autorange (pic #2) then you don't worry about setting it, you should not be getting any voltage on the line. If you are using a digital multimeter you may see some very small voltage (less than a volt).

Pic #1

Pic #2
    A real simple voltage tester is the kind that has a small light on it and it glows if you have 120v and glows brighter if you have 240v.
    Pic #3
    The other option of course is to use an electrical device such as a lamp or radio. A radio works great if you don't know what breaker it is on, you keep flipping breakers off and on until you don't hear it.

'Just a handyman trying to help'
    'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Working...
    X
    =