Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to put the ground?

I'm hooking my stove back up after some remodeling. The stove uses an old style 3 prong plug, but I have 4 wires in the wall box (2 hot, neutral, ground). The receptacle I bought at Lowes has only 3 places to connect the wires... so, what do I do with the ground?

I know I should have made notes when I pulled the old receptacle... but demolition is fun, making notes isn't! I've learned my lesson though, a bit more work at the beginning of a project sure can save time and money at the end. I'm not even sure why I threw away the original receptacle... out with the old, in with the new I suppose.

david

you could go back to lowes and purchase a four wire pigtail, then you'll have a place to put the bare ground. the new code states to use a four wire receptacle and a four wire pigtail. what we used to do with the old three wire receptacles is just loop the bare ground around one of the fastening screws and wire the rest of the receptacle. about the only thing the bare did was ground the metal part of the receptacle NOT the stove. the four wire receptacle now grounds the case of the stove to the bare ground. the neutral is in the same place and the two hots are in their same place on the receptacle. the terminal strip for the stove - older units have a strap from the middle terminal to the case ground. with a four wire pigtail this strap is removed, the neutral connected to the middle and the green or bare ground goes to the stove case (metal parts)

Comment

Working...
    X
    =