Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oddity replacing OLD switch/outlet combo

Hi,

Normally I'm pretty good with wiring, but this one has me pretty stumped!

I have an old Eagle switch on top, receptacle on bottom combo switch I need to replace. Looking at it from the front, there are 2 DARK screws that are tabbed together on the left. There is a MEDIUM colored screw on the top right, and silver on bottom right.

There are 2 sets of wires in the box. The one on the left is Black/Red/White. They were connected :

Black - Top/Left/Dark Screw
    Red - Top/Right/Medium Color Screw
    White - Bottom/Right/Silver Screw (Tied to set 2 white)

The one on the right is Black/White:

Black - Bottom/Left/Dark Screw
    White - Bottom/Right/Silver Screw (Tied to set 1 white)

When I throw the breaker, I lose the bathroom I'm working in, the hallway, the bedroom next to the bathroom, the attic, and the dining room! (This house is from the 50's).

When I take the entire switch out, and then put the breaker back on, I get:

*Bedroom comes back
    *Voltage on set #1, black to white, and black to red.

I'm trying to replace it with the Leviton Decora GFCI outlet and am not sure what I'm dealing with here.

By the fact there is a red, it makes me think that the power is already at the light like diagram #32 from
    www.lightingfacts.com - Wiring Diagrams (receptacles)
    I'm getting confused since I have a 2nd black that the diagram doesn't mention. (Or I'm reading it wrong). Should I just treat the set #2 of wires (Black/White) as additional LOAD (Like the diagram with the switch has) and connect that in? If so, then what do I do with the #1 set? I can put the black to HOT, but do I just connect both the red/white to WHITE?

Thanks, Tuc

look at a posting from drbarnard - wiring a leviton 5225 combination. I have a diagram in there about three scenarios for wiring a combination switch/outlet

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      look at a posting from drbarnard - wiring a leviton 5225 combination. I have a diagram in there about three scenarios for wiring a combination switch/outlet
      Hi,

Sorry, I should have also stated that I did look that over too. I'm 99.99% sure it isn't the first option (Too little wires). I'm about 99.98% sure it isn't the third one, since on the previous unit the tab wasn't broken off, and there aren't enough wires.

So that leaves #2. My issue with this was that there was a black from the "load" in the red/white/black cable. Your picture doesn't show it. Do I just put it to the same place as the other black? Secondly, I have ANOTHER set of black/white, which I am thinking is power to the rest of the items (kitchen and dining room lights, hallway, and attic). It becomes how to put it onto the new switch.

The new switch only has 4 posts (Yea, I know, they can take multiple wires). 2 line, 2 load. So do I put the red to the "line" white, the white to the line "hot", and the black to the "load" hot? Then put the white of the 2nd cable to white "load" and black to the "load" hot too?

Thanks, Tuc

Comment

let me go through your original post again - I'll figure out something and include a diagram AGAIN.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
          let me go through your original post again - I'll figure out something and include a diagram AGAIN.
          Hi,

Appreciated, but don't go to the trouble. The homeowner (Not my house, I just live here) ended up failing city inspection because her garage door opener was plugged into an extention cord. She's decided that since she has to call someone ANYWAY, that she might as well have them end up doing it. I didn't realize until I started looking at it all that she had no GFCI in the kitchen either.

I do thank you for your help though.

Tuc

Comment

oddity

Take a look at my two diagrams - the first one is what you got in the original - the second is if you removed the switch/combo and put in a gfci. If you have a decora gfci switch combination connecting it up will be just like in the first diagram. be reminded that any outlet within a 6 ft radius of the sink center must have gfci protection, any bathroom must have at least one gfi, one outlet in a garage, any outlets at grade level.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =