Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing old outets

The outlets in my house, built in 1960, have been painted over and many are broken. I thought about switching them out with new ones but there is no ground. Is that a problem and is it as simple as just hooking the new ones up with the ground screw (of the new outlet) unattached? What should I do?

Also, when I went to replace a light there was no place for the ground wire coming from the the new fixture. So what do I do with this ground wire.

Thanks

I also have an old house (1940) without grounded outlets. I spoke to an electricial and he said you must have grounded outlets, GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interupter) in the kitchen and bathroom, or any place that has the chance of water near the circuits. Small appliances, such as clocks, phones, irons, radios, etc... only have two-prong ends anyway... so those outlets shouldn't be a problem. Just replace the old outlets with new ones and don't worry about the grounding screw.
    For the bigger things, such as appliances, you should run new wires to new outlets with grounding. It is time consuming, but not that difficult.
    Truly, best case scenario is that you replace all the old wiring with new, code-approved, wiring... but, for now the above ideas should help you. As for the fan ground wire, just cap it with a wire nut until such time as you run new wiring. Good luck.

Comment

The code used to permit replacing old two wire receptacles with two wire replacements but since have changed their thoughts. Any receptacles changed on a two wire(d) house must have ground fault protection as the receptacles "measure" the imbalance between the black and white wire before they trip out. Even if you don't wire to the green screw on a ground fault used as a replacement it is required. Later on as added protection and as resources permit consider rewiring your house, at least the outlets. In the case of the fixture ground wire just leave it alone you don't need a wirenut.

Comment

thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =