Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attic fan electrical problem

I noticed I didn't hear my attic fan the last couple of days, I replaced the switch and again, no fan. I checked to see if the wires had power and they do, I was going to bypass the switch and put the wires together to see if the fan kicked on, but I got scared of getting shocked and didn't. My question is, if I do put the wires together and there is something wrong with the fan itself, what will happen? By the way, I replaced two switches when the first one didn't help. Thanks in advance

before you put your two wires together, take a trip up into the attic and try spinning the blade. if its "frozen" you may have oil less bearings. lubricate the motor if you can - if you can spin it and it doesn't seem bound up, if it tries to turn with the wires connected together it'll probably trip out on its internal overload. if it does trip - look for a winding that seems out of normal color than it's "buddy." a motor has a start winding and a run winding. A shaded pole motor does not.

Comment

Buy a non-contact AC Voltage Detector so you can easily check a switch or circuit to see if it's hot, even through the insulation.

Comment

Induction type testers can be very misleading. They will "read" a neutral when they shouldn't. If used in a multi-wire circuit they won't isolate the circuit you are looking for to be DEAD. Best for measuring any voltage is an analog meter. Simple Radio Shack meters are out there. If you are not sure how to use one read the manual. Putting a meter set for resistance on an AC circuit can blow up in your face!

Comment

Working...
        X
        =