Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Wiring Overkill?

I am in the process of doing the wiring for my basement and I need some advice as to what wiring I should be using for the receptacles. The following was my original plan than I went to the home store and realized that this may get very expensive. I have read that 15A / 14G wire is ok for general purpose (excludes dedicated circuits) outlets - is this being penny wise and pound foolish?

20A Circuit / 12G - receptacles throughout the basement with a limit of 10 receptacles per 20A circuit.

20A Circuit / 12G dedicated for Electric Baseboard Heating

20A Circuit / 12G dedicated for 3 receptacles for Bar Area (includes GFCI)

20A Circuit / 12G dedicated for Sewage Ejector Pump

20A Circuit / 12G dedicated for Freezer (14CubicFt)

20A Circuit / 12G dedicated for Bathroom (includes GFCI)

you're on the right track. 12 ga/ 20 amp circuits are not overkill. many dwellings use 12 for lighting as well as power. besides the cost savings between 14 ga and 12 ga is minimal.

Comment

let me add something - a duplex receptacle is rated at 180 va per device. this amounts to an amp and a half per receptacle. change your number of outlets on a 20 amp circuit to 13 and you'll be in the ballpark.

Comment

I know this thread is a little old, but I wanted to add a few things:

1. There is no limit to the number of receptacles you can have on a circuit in a dwelling (unless local codes say otherwise).
        2. It is much easier to work with 14ga wire for lighting circuits, especially when you have multigang switch boxes.
        3. As of 7/24/07, the difference in price between a 250ft roll of 12/2 and 14/2 is about $25.00. I wouldn't call that negligible. Use 14ga wherever you can.

Comment

normel - I beg to differ on the number of outlets on a circuit. code says loading per outlet is 180 va per outlet. this works out to an amp and a half per outlet. divide 20 by 1.5 and you'll get 13. 14 gauge wire on a 15 amp breaker allows you 10 receptacles. I wired houses for 35 years and used combination wiring 14 - 12 gauge. I used 14 for general wiring and a few rooms BUT dedicated circuits always 12 gauge.

Comment

Article 220.13 (2002 NEC): "In other than dwelling units, receptacle loads computed at not more than 180 volt-amperes per outlet... "

Unless local codes stipulate otherwise, there is no limit for a dwelling per the NEC.

Comment

Originally posted by normel View Post
              I know this thread is a little old, but I wanted to add a few things:

1. There is no limit to the number of receptacles you can have on a circuit in a dwelling (unless local codes say otherwise).

2. It is much easier to work with 14ga wire for lighting circuits, especially when you have multigang switch boxes.

3. As of 7/24/07, the difference in price between a 250ft roll of 12/2 and 14/2 is about $25.00. I wouldn't call that negligible. Use 14ga wherever you can.
              Fine! If that be the case put 100 receptacles on one circuit and see what happens!
              Granted 14 ga is a lot easier to work with, works great with lighting circuits but most contractors use 12 ga throughout new construction. This way they only have to inventory 12 ga

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
                Fine! If that be the case put 100 receptacles on one circuit and see what happens!
                Absolutely nothing! It is not the number of receptacles, but what is plugged in to them.

BTW, I do not condone being excessive with the number of receptacles on a general use circuit and try to stay within 15-20 myself. My point is, according to the NEC, there is no limit for a dwelling and to say otherwise is incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by normel View Post
                  Absolutely nothing! It is not the number of receptacles, but what is plugged in to them.

BTW, I do not condone being excessive with the number of receptacles on a general use circuit and try to stay within 15-20 myself. My point is, according to the NEC, there is no limit for a dwelling and to say otherwise is incorrect.

I'm just glad you're not wiring my house, even at 15-20 outlets you are taking a chance of overloading something.
                  I just rewired my complete downstairs and stayed at 10 outlets per 20 amp breaker because I know most of the outlets will have something plugged in. Did all this after I had a window A/C burn an old outlet and they had half of this 4200 sq.ft Victorian house on one breaker with aluminum wire on some runs, Grant you this house hadn't been rewired since the 40's but it's now all 12ga. and on a 200 amp service panel.

I'll stick with what Hayzee says, what he says is what I have always been taught.

Comment

in the code book they say to rate a circuit at not more than 80%. a 20 amp circuit therefore says not more than 16 [20 times .80 = 16] and for a 15 amp circuit 12 outlets [ 15 times .80 = 12] also 20 divided by an amp and a half [1.5] will = 13 outlets. AND 15 divided by 1.5 = 10. I read where it said "other than dwellings" - no limit, but from the safety standpoint I'd stick with the calculation. Thanks KSever for your input!

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =