Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pool & well electrical needs

I'm hoping my question is a short and sweet one, so here goes.
    I have installed a 50amp sub panel with 6/3 with ground (70' from main) from this sub panel I want to run 2 x 20 outlet circuits, 1 x well pump line and a pool pump line.
    Now the well pump needs to be 220 so I've been told to run 12/2 on a 20 amp double pole breaker with both white and black as hots. The well pump is a 1 1/2 HP, 230 volts, 60 hz with 10.6 amp and a S.F of 13.1 amps.

The pool pump is a 2HP 1.49kw and needs to be direct wired of course, will this pump be 220 as well or will 14/2 single pole breaker be OK.

The run from the sub panel to the pool and well pump location will be 112' I could make it less of a run but I'm trying to keep it out of the way of some construction after the pool is completed.
    I intend to bury the cables in conduit.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by pushkins; 07-03-2007, 04:31 PM. Reason: spelling error
    Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
    Every day is a learning day.

The pool pump is 2HP. 1HP=746 watts, times 2=1492 watts. Divide this by 240 volts to give you amps which equal 6.2 amps. For a 112 foot run in conduit, #14 THHN/THWN will go. You must use a two pole GROUND FAULT INTERRUPTER breaker - 15 amp. For the well pump, 10.6 amps on a 14 ga wire - doesn't have to be GFCI, if in conduit [#14 THHN/THWN] 15 amp two pole. Use this link to a voltage drop calculator: Voltage Drop Calculator

Comment

Addendum: by code you can't stuff "cables" i.e. romex or UF cable into conduit, even directly buried conduit. There's no place for the heat to go. THHN/THWN is sunlight and moisture resistant and is meant to go in conduit - PVC, EMT, RIGID STEEL, RIGID ALUMINUM, FLEXIBLE NON METALLIC CONDUIT ETC. The only way you could use conduit over cables is to provide mechanical protection where the cables exit out of the ground to a building or outlet location.

Comment

Thanks Hayzee, your info. solved the problem.
        Seems to be that if I run 12/2 for both and have them both on seperate 20 amp breakers the pool being on a GFCI breaker, I'd have plenty of juice at the end of 112 feet.
        I hope my understanding is correct ?
        Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
        Every day is a learning day.

Comment

using the calculator for voltage drop - the good book says no more than 3% voltage drop per 100 feet. If you switch the #14 with 12 the amps stays the same you just have more capacity on the line.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =