Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 220 with 110 current

I had a window a/c unit that was 220. We were out of our house for awhile and when I came back, I switched to a 110 unit on a different plug. We had a new breaker box installed at that time. I now have had a 220 window a/c unit installed and plugged it into the old 220 plug. The problem is that in all the changes, the 220 plug is now only sending 110 and the a/c doesn't work. How do you change from 110 to 220 in the breaker box?

go back to the panelbox and locate the existing breaker that is feeding the 120 volt outlet. remove the breaker and remove the wire from the breaker. now trace back the black wire where it goes into the cable then trace which white wire is going in the neutral strip. make sure this white is coming from the same cable as the black wire and remove it from the neutral strip. re-route the wire to a place approximately the same length as the black wire as a two pole breaker will be installed here. purchase a two pole 20 amp breaker for your panelbox make. wrap a piece of black tape around the white wire and install it under one of the screws on the breaker. install the black wire under the remaining screw and plug it [breaker] onto the hook at the rear of the breaker and onto the center stabs of the bus. BE CAREFUL! THIS CENTER BUS IS HOT WITH 240 VOLTS! you should have 240 at your outlet.
    Last edited by HayZee518; 07-06-2007, 07:29 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Comment

Working...
    X
    =