Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceiling Fan/light to switch

I have a ceiling fan with a light fixture that is hooked up and working if you pull the chains. However I wanted to hook it up to a light switch that is currently controlling an outlet. I would like it to work by when you turn on the switch it gives power to the light/fan and then you can turn off the light or the fan by pulling on their respective chains. On the fan end, there is a blue wire a black wire and a white wire conjoined in a common slip coming out of the fan. The blue wire is the hot to the light. Then there is a green wire going to the other side...I believe this is the ground. On the switch end there is currently a red wire (pained a little white) that is going into one end and a black wire that is going into the other. The black wire is connected to two other black wires in the box and the red wire painted white is connected to two other white wires. Anyone have any ideas? I tried doing this a couple months ago and ended up hiring an electritian for like 150 bucks to do it. Please someone help me. Thanks!!!

do you want the switch(s) to still control the outlet and fan or just the fan?

Comment

just the fan

Comment

OK, from what I'm deducing from your description, the upper half of one or two outlets is controlled by the switch. Next question - does the switch have three terminal screws on it? I need this to determine if the switch is a single pole or a three way.

Comment

Yes, it controlls the upper part of one outlet...It is only one switch and I believe it only has 2 screws. Thanks for the help.

Comment

outlet-fan conversion

I have drawn a circuit which I believe is what you have. the lower diagram will give you what you want. the switch will be controlling the fan, the then switched outlet half will always be hot.
            at the fan end - connect the blue and black wires together and the return black. the whites stay as they are.
            Last edited by HayZee518; 07-16-2007, 04:52 AM. Reason: forgot the fan wires

Comment

Not to muddy the waters, because HayZee's response is wonderful. But I have been surprised to find out how few of people know about the wireless adapter kits that allow both the fan and lights to work independently from the wall switch. They cost about $30 and they do not require new wire to be ran because they run on a 9v battery and control remotely. I even found a kit that allowed me to permantently connect the wires in the j-box and replace the wall switch with the wireless remote which makes it look like a perm install. There is no remote to lose that way. I'm super satisfied with that setup.

Comment

Skeezix - I'm aware of the wireless remote - I have one in MY house, but I was just doing what the gentleman wanted.

Comment

Thanks for your help...I'm going to try it tomorrow when I have some time. Thanks so much!

Comment

so basically what it looks like is that you want me to connect the red wire from the switch to the black wires and connect one of the black wires that is behind the box into the switch right? So I have 2 black wires going into the switch?

Comment

Yes, so what you have now, the red wire is feeding one half of an outlet or outlets. removing this red wire off the switch and splicing it into the blacks will make both halves of the outlet(s) hot - unswitched. The wire that goes to the fan (black) goes to the load terminal of the switch. at the fan, the whites stay spliced, the black (fan) and the blue (fan-lights) gets spliced together with the fixture black to the black on the romex cable.

Comment

The blue and black wires from the fan were already connected to the black wires from the ceiling. There are two black wires behind the box that are connected to teh black wire that goes to the switch. I went ahead and took the Red wire off of the switch and replaced it w/ a black wire from behind the switch and connected the red wire to the black wires. It didn't work, so i tried it w/ the other black wire. It still didn't work. I think i'm convinced that it wasn't wired the way it was supposed to or something and it won't work. Thank you for all your help I really appreciate it!!! I'm open to any more suggestions any one may have.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        =