Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding electrical outlet

I am turning the closet in my den into a computer desk. There are currently no outlets in the closet, but I would like to add one. There is an electrical outlet on the same wall in the next room. My question is, to avoid ripping my house apart, can I branch off the existing outlet and add one in the closet/computer desk?

Bronc; I assume this "new" receptacle will be for a light, computor and maybe a printer?. Unless this existing receptacle is on a high in wattage use already, you can add another one to it. To be on the safe side, best to check out what wattage is normally being used,make a list of whats on it, in order to avoid an "overload" to this circuit. Feel free to ask any more questions on this issue. Hube

Comment

I'm trying to accomplish the same thing, and am completely new to this. Can I simply attach new power line to the terminals on the existing outlet, and then run them to the new outlet? Also, where do I attach the ground cable? I only see two wires in the existing outlet (presumably the ground is attached to the metal box holding the outlet in the wall?).

TIA

Comment

wall plug

it is ok to put a plug in the closet use 14/2 wire black wire to black & white wire to white, copper to copper

Comment

Here's a link that'll show you all the details of how to add a receptacle to an existing circuit. Again, before doing so be sure you won't be exceeding the breaker capacity of this circuit. And, if the existing wiring in the wall is armored cable, then you'll need to use metal box's with the proper cable clamp attached to it.

http://www.rd.com/content/openConten...ontentId=18145

Jonas, if you do not have a ground at this existing receptacle box then you cannot per code extend a 2 wire circuit. To be sure no ground exist, using a voltage tester measure between the hot wire and the metal box. If you get a light on the neon bulb tester or read 120 volts then you can extend this circuit by connecting your new cables ground wire to both the metal box and the existing receptacle.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =