Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help, remodeling old home

New to the forum here. Hope you guys can help. the house i am remodeling is a 1969 and had the old screw in fuses in the inside breaker box, and we needed more circuits than it held. so we decided to put in a new box. my questions are how do i wire this new one up not sure where the red, black, green and white wires go. also the old box was much smaller than the new ones and once i got the new one in and ran the wires into the box some of them are to short to reach the busses and breakers. I was told i could install a junction box to add wiring to make them longer, is this true? thanks in advance and sorry so long winded!

did your old entrance have the meter inside or outside? what size entrance did you install? code says the minumum you can install is a 100 amp service entrance. wires that are too short are supposed to use a junction box of some sort to extend the wires do they'll be long enough to terminate in the new panel. If you are splicing in "knob n tube" wiring, you use fiber bushings and locknuts and feed one wire into the j box per knockout. the romex coming out goes into one romex connector and then on to your new panelbox. just make sure you got the hot going to the black and the white to the other. use the bare ground to ground out the j box if you're using a metal box, other wise just leave it alone in a plastic box. the new panelbox needs to have the neutral bonded to the case. use the jumper or screw supplied. your equipment ground from your waterpipe goes to the neutral bus too. also new code says you must drive an aux ground rod and run this lead also to the neutral bar. feeders for a 100 amp are #2-3 SEU service entrance cable [aluminum] Ground wires are #6 stranded bare copper. black to one side of the main, red to other side of main, bare ground to neutral bar, all grounds to the neutral bar.
    you must apply for a permit to do electrical work and have it inspected by an inspector - for your own piece of mind and your house insurance coverage.
    Last edited by HayZee518; 07-22-2007, 03:52 AM. Reason: added a line

Comment

Working...
    X
    =