Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more ceiling fan chaos

Installed a ceiling fan where a light fixture was, (in the j box there is 2 lines one with blk/wht and the other red/blk/wht.) Had blk/blu/wht coming from fan/lite, put the blu/red/blks together, everything worked without the switch; next I had to red/blu together and all the blks together, flip the switch and lights came on for a second and went off, didn't trip breaker, just on and off. (Checked for loose wiring at switch and my connection and everythings tight). Any ideas?

where does the red/blk/wht go to? the blk/wht sort of indicates the hot wire. I'm just trying to figure out if the red/blk/wht goes to a duplex switch.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      where does the red/blk/wht go to? the blk/wht sort of indicates the hot wire. I'm just trying to figure out if the red/blk/wht goes to a duplex switch.

Yessir, the red/blk/wht is going to switch and the blk/wht seems to be a leg coming from another bedroom.

Comment

do you know what I mean by a duplex switch? a duplex switch has two single pole switches on one common yoke. if this is what you have let me know. if you have only a single pole switch tell me this. this news will facilitate my answer to you.

Comment

Not a duplex switch, its a single pole.

Comment

ok, the one cable with the black/white is the hot wire. the red/black/white was just something the other guy had and used. [or so it seems] at the fan/light location, splice all whites together. wirenut the black [line side] to the black [of the three wire], wirenut the black and blue [ from the fan] to the RED of the three wire. just tape off the white - it won't be used. at the switch location, put the black on the top screw, the red on the bottom screw and replace the switch in the box. again tape off the white. put your breaker ON. with the wall switch ON power will be fed to the fan/light combo. Pulling on the chains of the fixture will vary your fan speeds and the light is just on or off. putting the wall switch off will shut everything OFF.
            Last edited by HayZee518; 08-03-2007, 01:35 PM. Reason: grammar correction

Comment

Thanks, Got it going, I appreciate your help!

Comment

Working...
              X
              =