Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaker tripping, need advice.

We just bought a new house and we are having a 15amp breaker that trips every few days. It seems to run the A/C (or atleast the blower for the A/C), all the outlets in the garage and atleast one outlet in the kitchen (right by the garage). The previous owners had no issues with the breakers tripping for the AC, however, since we've moved in, we have added a 2nd fridge AND a deep freezer to the outlets in the garage.

My question is, can I upgrade that 15 amp to a 20 amp and be ok, or do I need to do something more extensive? Is there any danger to upgrading the breaker to a 20? How do I know what kind to get (dual or single pole)? Thanks!

First of all a 15 amp breaker is meant to protect a 14 gauge wire. Look on the jacket of the cable that's going to the 15 amp breaker. If 14-2 is printed or stamped in it then 15 amp is all you can use. Think of splitting up the circuit. If it's stamped or printed with 12-2, then you can safely upgrade to a 20 amp single pole breaker. I'm just hoping that if the line is a 12 ga. someone didn't splice in a 14 gauge wire onto the 12. That could be very hazardous!! Why not consider running a dedicated 20 amp line to each freezer you have and each refrigerator?

Comment

It probably feeds the indoor blower which is supposed to be on its own dedicated circuit. You may be able to separate the blower and just run new wire to that junction point and pick up the other loads and put them on their own breaker.

Comment

why are we re-hashing posts from three months ago?

Comment

Working...
        X
        =