Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal octagonal vs. round plastic ceiling boxes

I am wiring some new construction with yellow #12 NM cable and need to hook-up several ceiling boxes for track lights (not ceiling fans). The octagonal metal boxes I purchased have nail holes that allow nailing directly into the ceiling joists.

It seems like octagonal metal boxes would require use of a cable anchor coming into the box, whereas the plastic boxes something entirely different.

Question is: Would most electricians use plastic (and/or fiberglass) ceiling boxes or octagonal metal boxes for track lights?

I ONLY use non-metallic boxes with NM cable.
    IMO there is very little reason to use metal boxes with NM cable and wood framing.
    Most plastic boxes have some sort of built in cable clamp/grip.

Comment

In the early days of wiring all they had was metal boxes. Circa 1981 a few manufacturers came out with plastic boxes [ raco, slater and carleton was new to the scene] Track lighting has been around for ages. Emerson used to be the only one, but the field has expanded to more overseas markets. Tracks have only their feeder fastened to a junction box, switch box, plaster ring and the rest is directly fastened to the ceiling material. Raco started at first to come out with a plastic box rated at 50 lbs or more for ceiling fans [1980's] and in limited quantities. The box you were referring to was a nail on junction box with just 1/2KO openings. They make new work metal with a J bracket and it has romex clamps inside. Almost all new work plastic boxes have some sort of friction clamp inside eliminating the need for metal or plastic clamps.

Comment

Resolved

Thanks for the tips, and the helpful explanation on metal vs. plastic boxes.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =