Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rehab / Not to Code

I'm currently considering purchasing an older home that is currently not up to code. I have no problem doing most the work myself and hiring a pro when the situation arises, however, once I fix the problems, does the city come out to view the upgrades? An inspector perhaps?
    In other words, how does the city know the changes have taken place and the house is now up to code? (Home is currently in Maricopa County AZ).

I know someone here has experience in this, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Bob Z

After further research it looks as if a permit and having an inspector come out are the best. But does the city have an inspector come out, or do I have to hire one myself?

If anyone knows of a website with the details and laws it would be very helpful....

Thanks again

Comment

Obviously I should have thought this one out before I started posting, and I apologize for not being more organized. But if the house was built in the 60's or prior, am I responsible for meeting current building codes, or does the "Grandfathered in" law apply?

It must be a busy day in the city offices, as I'm still on hold (37 minutes and counting).

Cheers.

Comment

By rights and the National Electrical Code ANY electrical improvements to a dwelling should be inspected by a UL approved and licensed inspector. Even towns that don't have a full time inspector use the UL inspector for insurance purposes. Most town jurisdictions have some means of issuing a wiring permit and building permits. Grandfathering a dwelling is not going to cut it.
        Last edited by HayZee518; 08-06-2007, 11:15 AM. Reason: added a sentence

Comment

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not attempting to overlook the problems, I just need more time (and funds), and was wondering how long I would have before the city starts losing patience.

I was planning on using the house for weekends and slowly rehabing, perhaps in the course of a full year. I do not plan on living in the house until I retire.

Bob

Comment

Here in New York state [rural] a building permit and electrical permit are good for 90 days. After that there may be an extension period before an OC [occupancy certificate] is issued.

Comment

Thank you very much for the quick reply, it may not be what I wanted to hear, but pretty much what I was expecting.

Thank again.

Bob z

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
                Here in New York state [rural] a building permit and electrical permit are good for 90 days. After that there may be an extension period before an OC [occupancy certificate] is issued.
                90 days???? Are you absolutely sure about that?
                In my town it is 18 months, with up to two 6 month extensions.

Comment

speedy I'm quoting my building inspector here in st regis falls.

Comment

Wow! Seems totally illogical.
                    90 days is not enough time to renovate a kitchen in many areas, let alone build a house.

Comment

Just picked up the paperwork and forms. I will have 90 days after the city releases the permit, with a grace period of up to 180 days from release of permit. I am allowed to have one 180 day extension if filed prior to the ending of the first 180 days. (This is for a renovation permit)

More than enough time.

I shall return for advice when the permits come through (30 to 90 days from the time I turn in the application).

Cheers.

Comment

Permits

Man that is not a long time at all, I went down to get a permit to do a renovation on my house which included plumbing, electrical and structure. No blueprints just a drawing I made from photoshop. Permit cost me $10 and is good for 1 year and able to get an extension for as long as I need it.

Comment

As to your original question, if the wiring was installed to the code at the time, then the general answer is that there is no requirement to ever bring things up to current code. If you CHANGE things, remodel, etc. then all wiring in the area of the remodel might have to be brought up.

Your insurance company may have some input on these issues, and that's a different story. Or if you made some upgrades a condition of sale.

What exactly are you doing, or have you done? Things like installing GFCI outlets, or upgrading a stove or dryer to 4 prong circuit instead of three, are good ideas, and should have an electrician involved.

Comment

I have not started as of now, and am waiting for the mortgage to go through. I am planning on tearing the walls apart to re insulate (Electric fees in Arizona are outrages in the summer) and figured it would be a good time to rewire to something a little safer than it was back in the day, and check the main structure. All cabinetry will also be torn out.

It currently has a septic tank which is currently working and legal, so I'd like to put that off for as long as possible, with hopes that the city's main sewer line will soon be available. (Area was Rural 2 years ago, now it's close to the center of one of the fastest growing cities in the states)

After it's inhabitable, I plan on starting a block fence which will surround the 4 acres. And after that's finished, I was really hoping the city approves a permit to build a moat surrounding the estate. That hasn't been thought through, but has always been a dream of mine.

Of course, I will definitely be back for help. I've had experience in all the above (except for block fence building) in small projects in different situations. This is the largest project I've had, and plan on hiring the right people when necessary. Otherwise, it will just take time....

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            =