Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed before I go any further -

This forum has been a wealth of knowledge for my project and is appreciated.

I am in the process of wiring electrical outlets for my basement. I have decided to run 12/2 for the outlets and 14/2 for the lighting. I have a section of the basement that will not be renovated as it is literally 3 feet in width and runs the length of the basement. My question is, can I run my receptical wires along the surface of the 2x4's that back up to this unfinished section or do I need to drill the 2x4's.

Thanks

two or maybe three ways of doing this. One would be to run EMT with handy boxes. other way is with the cable stapled to running boards [furring strips] along the surface of the 2X4s and finally drilled holes at approx center of the 2X4 to support the romex. Leave about six inches of stripped cable jacket in the boxes and staple back within 8 inches of the box(es)

Comment

Thanks for the Information

Thanks for the information - seems to make perfect sense.

I have a length of 3/4 Inch plywood that I will cut into 6" in strips and run this along the length of the unfinished space and use plastic holders every 4 ft to secure.

Comment

use insulated staples for romex. it'll look better and code says "securely fastened" to structures.

Comment

If you would not mind I have one additonal question

I am planning on installing baseboard heating for the basement.

I am using a double pole (2) 20A Breakers and 12g wire.

There are essentially three rooms in the basement. The larger of the three rooms I have already wired in a thermostat using one 20A Douple Pole Breaker and 12/2 wire.

For the other two rooms, I would like to have them heated individually -so is it ok to run 12/2 wire from the remaining 20A Double Pole Breaker to the first thermostat and then run a 12/2 wire to the next thermostat in the ajoining room?

Thanks again for the assistance - it is appreciated.

Comment

what's the wattage of the other two heaters?

Comment

2-Pole 20A Breaker feeding, 12/2 Wire;
              Main Room = two baseboard heaters total 2,000 watts
              Bathroom = one forced air heater 1,000 watts

2-Pole 20A Breaker feeding, 12/2 Wire;
              Hallway = one baseboard heater 750
              Room 1 = one baseboard heater 1,000
              Room 2 = one baseboard heater 1,250

I believe the first 2-Pole breaker in the Main Room and Bathroom are OK. The second 2-Pole Breaker is my question. I would like to have a wall thermostat in Room 1 and Room 2 and a thermostat for the Hallway on the unit itself. Can I run the power to Room 1's thermostat, then continue the run to the second thermostat and finally continue the run to the hallway unit. Is this ok?

Thanks

Comment

Put a 4 inch square junction box somewhere between the rooms. feed a 12 wire into the j box. feed one cable to a wall stat and another to another wall stat. feed a third wire to the baseboard with the integral stat. at 3000 watts the draw on the 12 will be 12.5 amps - the 12 ga will carry all of this load. just make sure if you are finishing the ceiling that the junction box is accessible, not covered by ceiling materials.

Comment

HayZee518 -

Thanks for the information on wiring the baseboard heaters. Your approach of adding a 4" box makes perfect sense and makes for a clean orderly job.

Your advise is appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =