Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 220 Volt Outlet For AC Not Working???

I have a new 220 volt AC that I'm trying to install. I didn't have an outlet for it, so I ran a 3 wire (red, black, white) BX cable from the box to a 6-20 Nema receptacle rated at 20 Amps and 250 volts (Leviton 5821). The red and black wires are each attached to single 20 amp breakers (not a 2-pole breaker), one on each leg from the street (I've moved them around a couple of times to make sure they aren't on the same leg). The white wire is attached to the neutral bar.

At the receptacle, I have the red and black wires attached to the screws at either blade and the white wire attached to the green (ground) screw. When I test the outlet, I get a complete circuit between either blade and the ground but not between the two blades.

Long story short, the AC doesn't work, please help!

Regards, Dana

240 volt a/c

What follows is a diagram of your outlet and a piece of 12/3 SO cord. It could be armored cable as you used but I drew cord as its easier to draw. The white conductor in the cord is light blue as I can't draw white. if you use two single pole breakers install them next to each other, then they will be on separate phases of the panelbox. also if using two single pole breakers obtain a plastic tie-bar that installs on the two handles. this way if one pole trips, it'll trip the other breaker.

Comment

Working!!!! Thank you very much.

Good night,

Dana

Comment

Strictly speaking, what you have done is not proper. The NEMA 6-20 is a grounding receptacle, and your air conditioner is required to be grounded. If the panel is a main panel, then the neutral and ground busses are bonded together. However, you are not allowed to use a white wire as a grounding wire. It should be bare or green.

You should at least mark the white wire with green tape at each end, but I don't know if that actually is permitted by code. Also, on a 240 volt circuit, you are required to have a double pole breaker. You must install the tie bar as HayZee mentioned.

Since you did this without a permit, your fire insurance may deny a claim if your house catches fire. It is not too late to pull the permit and have this job inspected.

Comment

The post by 596 is right on. In fact it is one of the the best piece of advice that has been given for a while on electrical diy.
          Do it right..and IF you can't do it right, then get an Electrician to do it.
          at least then you will still have insurance IF something bad happens.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =