Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring 2nd floor of new garage

I am wiring the second floor of a new garage which measures 20' x 30'. The plan is to run four new 12/2 cables from the service box to the following: (by the way, when the garage was built 2 years ago, the master electrician installed outlets around the room).

Cable #1 (12/2) - living area:
    -Dimmer to ceiling fan
    -Dimmers to ceiling fan
    -1 track lights

Cable #2 (12/2) - bathroom
    -outlet (2 plugs)
    -2-way switch to:
    Make up light (above mirror over vanity)
    Recessed light near shower stall (60W)

Cable #3 (kitchenette):
    -2 outlets (4 plugs)
    -switch for insinkerator disposal
    -outlet for insinkerator disposal

Cable #4 (living area)
    2-way switch to:
    Track light
    2-way switch to:
    Track light

My guess is that this is a skimpy load on the current service. However, we plan on using a microwave and small fridge in the kitchenette, and I don't know if having the insinkerator on the same bus?

Now for the fun part. In the service box on the back of the garage, the electrician used a large double breaker whichs route the service for the house underground (gray PVC pipe) around the garage, under the new driveway, and then into the service box on the house.

The electrician wired three cables coming into the service box: a 12/2 going to a 20A breaker for the outlets and lights downstairs of the garage, an orange cable (not sure what gauge) going to a 30A breaker for a 220V AC unit upstairs, and a 12/2 going to another 20A breaker for the outlets upstairs.

The service outlet where the three cables come into the box looks like it's about 1 inch threaded PVC with a nut inside the box and a nut inside the wall inside the first floor of the garage. For my four new 12/2 cables (for upstairs), I will need to knock out one of the pre-fab one-knockouts on the lower right of the box, install 1 inch PVC, and then run my cables. I plan on using 20A breakers for the four 12/2's.

Is the above straightforward, or are there some tricks I need to be careful about?

lep

Just wondering -- since this is a home repair, forum do inquires need to focus on something that's broken?

lep

Comment

if you intend to run 12/2 in pvc conduit, better re-think your plan of attack. romex cannot be run in conduit! even more so, 4-6 cables must be derated for current draw by 80%. Running THHN/THWN in conduit is permissible but you still have that de-rating clause. the [orange] is just the cable jacket color is 30 amp - 10/3 with ground. what size is the service entrance? minimum is 100 amp. as far as what HE installed, cables in pvc conduit, he should have known better. I'm surprised the inspector didn't pick up on it. it is a clear violation of wiring methods and the code.

Comment

The underground cables that lead to the house were indeed looked at by the inspector, since I was there when they dug the hole and were waiting on the depth check by the inspector. The inspector also came out after the pvc with cable inside was laid down, prior to filling up the trough with dirt.

Thanks for the tip on derating -- i'll look into that. lep

Comment

well your inspector wasn't much of a code enforcer if he dismissed the romex in pvc.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =