Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving a 220 V outlet

Hello, I recently bought my first home and need a little help. The problem is, the washer and dryer hookups are in the middle of the house in the kitchen (which is a horrible eye sore, plus there is nowhere to vent the dryer), so I'm wanting to move the washer and dryer next to the back wall of the house which will get them out of the way and also allow me to vent it outside. My question is, how hard is it to move the 220v outlet? The wall I would like to move them to is alot closer (within about 10 ft) to the breaker box as apposed to where the outlet sits right now, which is about 20 -25 ft away. Could anyone give me a quick run down of what I'd need to do or point me in the right direction so that I can figure this one out? Thanks!
    Last edited by illusion456; 09-04-2007, 03:14 PM.

the dryer cable is 10/3 with ground. locate the double pole 30 breaker in your panelbox. Throw it to off. At the receptacle use a test meter and check it to be dead. Loosen the center screw and pull off the cover. Loosen the wire screws until the terminal slides back. Loosen the two screws on the wire clamp and rempve the wire. Along its length, remove the staples. Route the wire to your new location. Drill a 3/4 inch hole through the floor at its new location. Feed the cable up through the hole. Wire the receptacle in reverse as before. Fasten the outlet to a wooden surface using the three holes in the backing plate. The black and red go on the side terminals, the green or bare in front and the white, in back. Replace the cover and throw the breaker to ON. Check for voltage. The two outside terminals will give you 240 volts.

Comment

Wow, excellent instructions! Thank you very much, I'll give it a try!

Comment

Working...
      X
      =