Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a 240 volt multi receptacle box?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a 240 volt multi receptacle box?

Hello, I am wondering if there is such a beast as a box with multiple 240 volt receptacles. I have 6 different 240 volt power tools and would love to plug them all in to some sort of reciever on or under my workbench instead of running extension cords all over the place. I would love it if there was something I could wire into a 30 or 40 amp breaker and have 6 or more outlets in it. Thanks for the help.

please list the amperages of each power tool. also what type of plug is on each tool? are they straight blade type or twist lock? would these tools all be running at the same time?

Comment

I am okay on the tools and amp ratings, I just really would like to know...

if there is a "receptacle box" type thing that can multiple 240 plugs... kind of like a surge protector, but for 240. I know better than to exceed the amps. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by bestbowl View Post
        ........but for 240.
        That's not what Hazee asked. "240" is only half the equation. This is an extremely common DIY mistake.

What are the amperage draws (@240v) of each tool you will be using? What size receptacles do they require? This makes a BIG difference.

Comment

Thanks again and sorry to be so stubborn on this, but I morre than assure you I am

very solid on the amps. I would truly just like to know if there is some sort of power strip and/or surge protector that has multiple 240 recepticles that I can hard wire to a 30 or 40 amp 240 two pole circut breaker. I am sorry to be so repetitive but I would just like this question answered. I am 100% on the amperage. I am going to be running between 20 and 30 amps. Thanks again.

Comment

Oh and sorry, I did edit the orig. question, but it didn't make the correction...

The sockets are NEMA 6-20R

Comment

ok NEMA 6 20 amp receptacles. NOW are they twist lock or other?

Comment

Not twist lock, just plug-in

Thanks again

Comment

ok, now to answer your question. there's nothing stock made that you could use. you'll have to make up a 240 volt receptacle center. for that matter you can put outlets where you want in your garage - as far as using one breaker to feed them all, not such a good idea. Since a 240 volt motor doesn't use a neutral, 12/2 with ground would suit your project perfectly. feed all your outlets with a two pole 20 common trip breaker. The white wire in the cable, mark with black tape the white wire on both ends - if someone else goes into the panelbox, he should know that a tape wrapped white is 240 volts and not be used as a neutral. The bare ground goes to the green screw on the receptacle's yoke. For a DIY I'd recommend plastic nail on boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by bestbowl View Post
                    The sockets are NEMA 6-20R
                    THERE we go.

There is nothing you could use that you could plug into a 30 or 40 amp circuit. You CANNOT have 20A rated receptacles on a 30 or 40 amp circuit, unless of course there is some sort of overcurrent protection (circuit breakers or fuses) built in.

Comment

Multi circuiit 240

I have included a diagram of a four gang plastic box with four 240 type outlets in it. Each outlet is to be fed with a 20 amp two pole breaker, common trip. You wanted a 40 amp feeding it but there's no way this can be done. I'll try to explain - a 40 amp breaker will safely feed an 8 gauge wire. Connecting up a bunch of 20 amp receptacles on a 40 amp feeder will not do because the cable connected to the receptacle cannot safely pass 40 amps. the wire is rated at 20 amp ONLY! I know what you're thinking, well if I parallel a bunch of outlets the combined rating will equal forty amps. 20+20=40 - I'm sorry it don't work that way! The only way you could do that is if you used #8 gauge wire to each receptacle AND there's NO WAY #8 is gonna fit under the receptacle screw. You CAN'T use a piece of #12 under the screw because the branch circuit is still gonna carry 40 amps and that is 20 amps more than the 12 can carry.

Comment

While this is all true, the fact remains that it is unsafe and illegal code wise to have a 20A receptacle fed by anything other than a 20A circuit.

Comment

This can certainly be done being fed from a 20A circuit. You just can't run more than one tool at a time. You can leave them all plugged in though.

I'm not sure what your intention is. Is it to have multiple tools running at the same time, or just to have the convenience of leaving everything plugged in?

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          =