Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subpanel Ground Bar

Good Day. I purchased a Square D SubPanel for my basement and in the process of installing. I have a 100A Breaker from a Homeline Panel to the Subpanel. I connected the Ground to appropraite Bar as well as the Neutral to its place along with the hots to their place. The panel came with one ground bar which I installed on the left hand side of the panel - this is where I terminated the Ground Wire from the Main Panel. I purchased an additional Ground Bar and have installed it into the right side of the panel. I have concerns about using the additional ground bar as it is not grounded from the main panel like the one that is on the left hand side. Do the Ground Bars need to be connected via wire???

Thanks

The feeder to your sub panel needs to be a four wire cable or seperate four conductors through a piece of conduit (metal or pvc) the two hots go to sub lugs or a back fed main, the neutral white goes to the non bonded neutral leg and the bare equipment ground goes to the auxillary ground bar.

Comment

Originally posted by blackaje View Post
      I have concerns about using the additional ground bar as it is not grounded from the main panel like the one that is on the left hand side. Do the Ground Bars need to be connected via wire???
      They're both screwed into the back of a big metal box, aren't they?

Comment

Speedy - I think he's got the neutral and ground nomenclature bas ackwards - as the sub panel needs the neutral NOT BONDED to the sub. and the bare ground to the aux bar.

Comment

SubPanel Setup

My apologies for the confusion from my last post - it was late. Nonetheless, I do appreciate the assistance.

This is what I have. I used #2 NM Cable from the main box to the subpanel with 3 conductors (Black, Red and White) and 1 bare ground wire. I connected the Black and Red to the respective Hot Lugs and the White to the Neutral Lug and finally the Bare Ground to the Ground Bar Hub that was included on the left hand side of the panel. My question is, can an additional Ground Bar to the right hand side of the panel to make the routing of the ground wires easier. If a Ground Bar can be added do I need to run a a bare copper line to the Ground Bar on the left han side of the panel?

Thanks ever so much for the assistance.

Comment

Short answer is no, additional bonding between the two grounding bars is not necessary if they are both screwed into the panel enclosure as the panel itself provides the bond.

Comment

Equipment ground in a sub panel

Maybe this diagram will help the confusion.

Comment

Subpanel - Updated Drawing

Ok - I took the liberty to draw the subpanel as I have it currently. So, if I read what you said correctly it is ok to include an additional ground bar and that there is no need to connect the two ground bars together as the panel is bonded.

Let me know if I have this correct - pretty sure I do.

Thanks

Comment

Exactly. This is why machine screws are required and you cannot use sheet metal screws. The screws and the metal panel enclosure ARE your bond.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =