Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ceiling fan will not work

The story begins with the beaded pull chain for the 3-way speed switch breaking off in the switch. The switch was a 5-8 wire switch which I replaced using the exact same part and removed each wire separately, replacing in the appropriate place on the new switch. The fan had an antique brass finish that I decided I did not want. Since I had the ceiling fan down it would be a good opportunity to spray it with a 'wrought iron' paint. I carefully cleaned all metal parts to be sprayed and covered all electrical parts including the motor housing before spraying. Now that I have the fan back on the ceiling, I cannot get the thing to work. I temporarily connected the light attachment and it works just fine. I put on a couple of blades and tried to twirl it and it doesn't twirl. I know that it should spin freely on or off at this point from hitting my head during prior dusting sessions (this could explain a lot of my problems in cognitive thinking).

Now I ask, what all could I have messed up during the procedure I have described? I am speaking only of the fans mechanics, I know the head problem should be addressed in a neuro forum. Could I have messed up the motor some how in positioning the fan during the clean up and spray process? Could I have gotten sudsy water or paint mist in the motor housing? Should I try oiling the "never needs oiling" motor?

If it will not spin freely then either paint, rust or the wrong screw (too long)installed is preventing it. If you are serious that you used 'sudsy water' in the cleaning I would then lean towards rust. If you try this type of project again I would recommend that you use fine steel wool to rough up and clean the old surface and then use a tack cloth to wipe the dust up before painting. Avoid mixing water and electrical components. Oiling is not going to help it will probably just make it worse (if that is possible). Good luck, Jim
    'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

I would tend to believe that a screw is slightly too long. If I remember correctly the screws that fasten the blades in place have a lockwasher under the screwhead(s). Forgetting this lockwasher will allow the screw to go in just enough to hit the non rotating "stator" As far as "mixing" water with the electrical, I wouldn't worry about it. There isn't enough conduction to make a difference. These motors are inductive, don't use brushes, so conductivity and water isn't an issue.
      Last edited by HayZee518; 11-20-2007, 09:06 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I took the fan down again and shot Rem oil w/teflon from the bottom and top of the shaft until I got dripping from each end. I know this isn't as good as the grease used during production, but good enough to free the motor. I put the fan back up and it is running smoothly without a sound. It probably needed oiling before since it did make a little noise from time to time before I started messing with the thing. The fan is at least 25 years old and it was a cheap one back then. Of course, a cheap anything made 25 years ago is better quality than a cheap anything purchased these days.

PS. When I was cleaning the metal parts before I spray painted, I used a slightly damp not dripping sponge. I had thought of lightly sanding but knew that I really needed to get off any oils in the crevices. I also thought that it would do more harm if any filings, dust, or debris entered the motor housing.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =