Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator issue...

Used a Coleman 5000 Powermate generator today during the power outage. Found many things weren't working right. Started shutting stuff off right away. Light bulbs were popping, transformers were buzzing. Checked the output to find 186 V on each leg!!! It fried many electronic items, several cordless phone transfomers and three Belkin surge protectors.
    The generator info is: Coleman Powermate. Powerbase 5000.
    Model PM0545305.01. ACV 120/240. Current 41.6/20.8. Surge 6250.
    Serial 78270386. Power factor 1.
    What can I do to repair something like this? Is there a board that can be replaced? Or a relay? Also, any ideas on what could make it go haywire?
    I will NEVER charge up my house again wthout first verifying the output on both legs!!
    By the way...this is really strange...one leg on the breaker in the main was zero volts while the other was reading over 360!! At the generator receptical, however, it was 180(+) on each leg. THe engine rpm's were right on at 3600.

It's obviously a problem inside the genny. Could be a board or electronic, but I doubt it at those voltages.
    For a cheap genny like that I doubt it's worth fixing.

How are you hooked up to the house?

Comment

the guts of a generator is the stator winding, a wirewound rotor, two diodes [and a set of slip rings and brushes] if there is a regulator. a utility generator relies on residual magnetism in the iron punchings of the rotor. current and voltage rely on how the stator is wired. voltage and frequency are the results of prime mover speed. most units keep the voltage from about 120 volts to possibly 135 volts. if something should happen to the stator, a winding shorts out, the resultant voltage could spike up. if the coleman doesn't used a wound rotor then there is only a permanent magnet as the rotor.

Comment

Bad Genny.....

Speedy...am running the house by plugging into a 240 outlet.
        HayZee...Since I like learnig stuff anyway, I'll take it apart and see if anything's obvious. If nothing, then I'll get a price from the local electric shop...

Comment

Originally posted by mrcaptainbob View Post
          Speedy...am running the house by plugging into a 240 outlet.
          Through a transfer switch I hope??

Comment

Originally posted by normel View Post
            Through a transfer switch I hope??
            Doesn't sound like it.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =