Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recessed lighting issue

Hi,

I've got a problem with some recessed lighting installed in a kitchen at my in-laws house. The installation was done by a handyman not to long but have never worked right. He installed 6 recessed lights along the kitchen ceiling where there used to be one fluorescent light. They are controlled by 2 light switches, one on etheir side of the kitchen. Im guessing the switch are 3 way light switches. The problem is that all the light bulbs keep burning out except for one. They may last for a day at the most. There was never a burning out problem when it was just the fluorescent light itself. Also it does not trip the breaker. I know a little about wiring but have very little experience with 3 way circuits. Any help will do, and just ask if more info is needed,Thanks

the burning out issue isn't a function of the switches. it has to do with voltage spikes in the syste,. also check your incandescent bulbs for a voltage rating of up to 135 volts. some dollar stores still sell bulbs rated 120 volt. a three way circuit takes its power in one box and feeds it out the other three way. flourescents have a built in transformer that accepts voltage surges without any problems. they light by ionizing a gas inside the tube. there is a starter filament at one end but its purpose is to heat a tiny droplet of mercury into a vapor which is conductive.

Comment

Short bulb life can be a problem with recessed cans if you use a higher wattage than the max recommended. However, even that would not cause burn out in one day, so I suspect other problems.

Very hard to say since we cannot see your circuits. You could have an improperly wired multiwire setup, or something like an open neutral. Either of these can potentially place more than 120 volts on a bulb, causing premature burnout.

This link shows some diagrams of how three-way circuits are wired. Perhaps this will help you investigate your problem. 3-Way Switches and 4-Way Switches

Post back if you have more questions.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =