Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 220v line

I am doing a remodeling in my kitchen. It used to have a 220v line for the electrical oven. I am not using it anymore and I want to use that to convert to 120v line for the fridge, microwave oven and the gas range plus some outlet along the counter top.
    The existing 220v has 3 wires (2 blk and 1 wht) 12 gauge.
    Is it possible? Any help on the conversion is greatly appreciated.
    Can anyone show me how to wire that.

12 gauge wire that went to an oven? That's odd.
    But although not technically "code", yes you can convert it to two 110 volt 20 amp circuits using a common neutral. this is assuming that there is also a ground wire in the mix. (you did not mention that)
    If the wire is indeed #12, go into the circuit breker panel and locate the source. Take out the 2 pole 20 amp breaker and substitute two single pole 20 amp breakers. Now install a work box where the old oven connection plug was. From there tap into each black and the white to power your new 110 volt plugs. Each of the new 20 amp breakers will now control one of the two new circits using the common neutral.

Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!
    <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

JOE has given you good advice, BUT don't forget to USE the GROUND or bare copper wire in your new hook-up. This GROUND wire is just as important (and SAFER) than the black and white wires. Hube

Comment

Thank you for the advices gentlemen.
        One thing that concern me is that he existing wires do not have ground. There are only 3 wires: 2 black and 1 white.
        How do I run a ground to the line?

Comment

Can just use one 110 line from it only from one black and the common white, and taped off the other black without replacing a new breaker?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by uylinh

Can just use one 110 line from it only from one black and the common white, and taped off the other black without replacing a new breaker?
            OK. In that case, you can only get one circuit out of what you have. Go into the panel (circuit breaker box) and now the white neutral wire will become the ground. Mark it with green tape and secure it to the ground bar in the panel. (this might be the same bar as the neutrals, depending on your location and local codes). Mark the other end of the white wire with green tape so that you can identify the new ground. With the other end of the circuit (old stove) disconnected, determine the continuity for one of the black wires. ie: you want to determine which is which. You can do this with a continuity tester, or just hook one of them up to a 20 amp circuit breaker temporarily, go back to the disconnected wires at the old stove and put a meter across the newly marked green wire and each of the blacks. Whichever black gives you a 110 volt reading, that's the one that's temporarily attached to the breaker. Mark it with red tape or some other marker. This will now become your "hot" wire. Go back to the circuit breaker and mark that wire the same. Now tape the other black wire with white tape at both ends. This wire now becomes your neutral. Secure one end to the neutral bar and mark the other end as the neutral to your new plugs.
            So your 3 wires should now be ne black (hot) one white taped (neutral) and one green taped (ground). With this you can create a grounded 20 amp 110 volt circuit.

Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!
            <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

Working...
            X
            =