Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old wiring for generator

My detached garage was wired from my house load center using buried #2 AL hot-hot-neut (no gnd) all insulated. At the time that was OK for code (pre-1996). I have since had a separate 200 amp service run to the garage. I would like to use the old feeders to connect my portable generator to a transfer switch in the house. I know that according to present code I should run 4-wire to the transfer switch. If I ground the generator with a rod and use the 3 wires to the transfer switch would this work? If anyone is reluctant to say yes because of present code then let me phrase it this way, would this setup have been to code pre-1996?
    Thanks very much.

I don't know what the receptacle configuration may have been pre 1996. Generators nowadays have a four wire receptacle. Answering your question about the gen set feeder, I would have to say you can't use the three conductors and a ground rod. Technically a ground rod is necessary for the service and the genset but you really can't depend on ground resistance to establish an equipment ground. A four wire feeder as in "to a sub-panel" yes.

Comment

Thanks for the response. My thinking was to install an L14-30 receptacle in the garage, use the 3 existing wires (H-H-N) and tie the ground from the receptacle with the existing ground rod.
      Connect the other end of the wires to the transfer switch in the house, along the lines of the attached drawing.
      Thanks again!

Comment

selfhelpandmore.com/homewiringusa/1999/accessory/generator/index.htm

This should work better (add www)

Comment

Working...
        X
        =