Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three sets of wire to one receptacle

I am in the process of installing a few plugs down my basement that will be switched on and off by a single switch, I am installing three plugs, heres a diagram of the install

-- -- --
    | |---| |---| |
    -- -- --
    |
    |
    [Power]

Now my question, I have three sets of wire comming into the middle box, how do you suggest I connect all these together? Since the plugs have two screws on each side, one for power in, one for power out to others outlets, how should I connect the third set of wires wire, should I just connect two sets to a single screw, should I connect on set to the holes in the back of the outlet and the other two to the screws, or should I connect the power in to the screws and put small lengths of wire from the other screw and connect them all together with wire nuts?
    like this

Outlet Screws
    (O O)-----Power in
    |
    |
    ( )Wire nut
    | |
    | |
    | Outlet #2
    |
    Outlet #1

The first above illistartion didn't come out so heres a better one

Outlet1------Outlet2-------Outlet3
    ```````````````|.|
    ```````````````|.|
    ````````````Power In

Comment

Are they all going in the same box? Either way, you can piggy back them. power source -> first plug -> second plug -> third plug.

Or you can join the three wires to the plugs and the wire from the source in a common box. Just use wire nuts to connect the blacks together, connect the whites together, and connect the grounds together.

Is this what you mean? Welcome to the forum!
      Try

Comment

Mr. Shawn,

The easiest/quickest solution would be to for both the white and black ... use the two screws on one side and one of the holes in the back to join the wires to each side of the center plug. Be sure to keep all the black on the same side that has the darker brass screws and then join all the bare ground wires together at the center box as well.

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
        'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Thanks Jimmer, I wasn't sure if it was ok to do that, Now I can go finish, Thanks again

Comment

Working...
          X
          =