Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High amp device!

Hello, I want to start out by saying I have spent the last two hours cruising this forum and finding answers to my questions and potential questions in the future...this is truly a great resource....especialy for new homeowners like me! Anyway, I am looking at purchasing a large blower/dryer (motorcycle/car dryer) for the garage and the spec sheet says it is 19 amps. By my calculations (and feel free to correct me) that is about 2250 watts, I think I remember reading on this forum that a 20 amp circuit could handle 2400 watts.? My question is: would there have to be a dedicated circuit all of the time for me to run this device? I am not sure but I hink there is only 15 amp circuit breakers on the garage outlets. Even if I upgraded the circuit to 20 amps it would still be at 95% capactiy with this device...or am I missing something? Is it even possible/safe? Thanks for your time in advance.

19 times 120 = 2280 watts. 19 amps on a 20 amp breaker is kinda pushing your luck. I would go to a single pole 30 amp breaker because a motor starting draws about 125% of nameplate amps before it reaches its running amps PLUS you have a resistive load (the heater element) Does your garage have a sub panel or are you looking at running the circuit back to the main panel?

Comment

No subpanel in the garage so I would be running it from the panel in the basement. I am starting to consider going with the smaller dryer that only draws 9.5 amps....I would like to use this around the house and possibly take it over to a friends house. would not be fully usefull if i was tied to one outlet in the garage...not to mention I would have to make sure that anywhere I went had the power....guess I will go with the smaller version. I guess I could use the 9.5 amp just about anywhere, thanks a lot for the feedback!

Comment

9.5 times 120 = 1180 watts. are we talking like an industrial hair dryer or a floor model with a fan, sort of like what they use for drying rugs?

Comment

It is designed for drying off motorcycles....it blows warm filtered air. they have two models and the 19 amp big daddy would be nice to have but not if it is going to cause a lot of hassel just to run it. Leaning more and more towards the 9.5 amp model. Thanks.

Comment

What kind of plug does the 19A model have?
            Can you provide a link to it?

Comment

the specs say it has a "heavy duty 3 prong" just like the 9.5 amp model....I can't post a link yet but if you go to motorcycledryer.com and click on "blaster product specifications" it has the info on all the different models. do appliances that push near 20 amps usually have a different plug? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jag33560 View Post
                do appliances that push near 20 amps usually have a different plug?
                They should but many don't.
                My point is, if it has a "standard" 15 or 20 amp plug on the cord you do not need, and CANNOT use a 30A breaker.

That site is a real help...not. "Cord-12 ft. Heavy Duty 3 Conductor". This tells us a lot.
                Also they use that B-S Craftsman HP rating garbage. Yeah, 8HP (2x 4hp).

I would call them and ask what plug is on the end of that heavy duty cord, and maybe suggest they include this info in their website.

Don't take my frustration personally. I just get pissed when companies give vague or unrealistic information to mask the REAL details.

Comment

I don't know much about such things but it seems to me that two 4 HP fans would not produce 8 HP! I contacted the company and they said it was a regular 3 prong plug and that it shouldn't be an issue.... Quote "If your home is relatively new, the amp draw should not be a problem. The few times it has been an issue it was with much older homes. If the unit is the only appliance plugged in, it should be fine." Of course I knew this reply would say something to this effect since it is the company selling the product....guess I will give it a shot and if it doesn't work I will return it for the 9.5 amp model....My concern is if I can't use it on a garage outlet with a 15 amp breaker, I have some on a 20 amp but they are in the kitchen and the bathrooms, it would be a pain to run heavy gauge ext. chord everytime I wanted to use it!!! Also, I am in the process of identifying the curcuits in my home to see what is where but it seems to me, and keep in mind I know next to nothing about electricity, that a 19 amp appliance on a 20 amp breaker would not allow anything else to share it....I imagine my wife turning on a light or the toaster (or whatever may share the curcuit) and trip it while I'm using the blower. Thanks for your response Speedy Petey....and don't worry, I never take anything personally.

Comment

I will say, no matter how much the embellish the ratings I doubt you'd be able to run that big one consistently on a 15A circuit.

Comment

yeah, I agree it would probably be a bigger hassel then it is worth. I guess I will go witht he smaller model, from what I have been reading the smaller one is good for what I am doing...it is hard to turn down more power but I think it will be for the best! I have a tendency of overdoing things anyway!!! Thanks for all of your replys.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      =