Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring a 220 outlet

im trying to wire a 220 outlet from my breaker box.the wire i have from the breaker box to the outlet has 4 wires red,black,white,bare. how do i hook this up to the breaker? also the plug on the 220 power tool i have is a 3 prong plug and the outlet has only 2 connections on it plus the ground. how do i hook the 4 wire from the breaker box to the outlet?

The Black and Red should be used to connect the two 110 volt legs from the breaker itself to the plug hot terminals.
    In your case you need to connect the bare ground wire to the plugs ground terminal and then to the ground lugs in the breaker panel, be careful not to land it on the neutral lugs in the panel, look for other bare or green wires connected to the same place.

The white wire should be cut back and secured at both ends and covered with tape as it is not used. The white is generally used for the neutral or sometimes another hot leg but in this case it is not generally used based on your description.

Make sure to shut off the power at the main before you do anything.
    Use of this information, while generally accurate, is at the users liability.

Comment

Originally posted by AmeriServ View Post
      connect the bare ground wire to the plugs ground terminal and then to the ground lugs in the breaker panel, be careful not to land it on the neutral lugs in the panel, look for other bare or green wires connected to the same place.
      I thought ground and neutrals land on the same buss bar in residential?

Comment

Originally posted by DKAudio View Post
        I thought ground and neutrals land on the same buss bar in residential?
        Neutrals and grounds can both land on the NEUTRAL bar in ANY main panel. Resi or commercial.

Comment

jzinboyz, what is it you are wiring?
          What is the load and what size wire and breaker did you get?

Comment

I don't know why people think for a 220 outlet you HAFTA use a three wire plus ground! One) its expensive, Two) there's a third wire you won't use, therefore it is wasted. Know your load capacities and buy the cable you need plus the outlet. 20 amp 220 use twelve two plus ground. 15 amp use fourteen two plus ground. All you need to do is tape a piece of black tape on the neutral (white) and you're all set to go! if the receptacle is a two wire with ground twist lock, use the two wire. three phase is almost always 3 pole four wire, the fourth wire is ground (not neutral)

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
              I don't know why people think for a 220 outlet you HAFTA use a three wire plus ground! One) its expensive, Two) there's a third wire you won't use, therefore it is wasted. Know your load capacities and buy the cable you need plus the outlet. 20 amp 220 use twelve two plus ground. 15 amp use fourteen two plus ground. All you need to do is tape a piece of black tape on the neutral (white) and you're all set to go! if the receptacle is a two wire with ground twist lock, use the two wire. three phase is almost always 3 pole four wire, the fourth wire is ground (not neutral)

Right, no neutral on 220, 2 hots and equipment ground.

If you are doing an over or similar neutral is usually needed. Some of the electronics (display pad/keys) operates off 110V.

Comment

An oven or dryer is NOT a typically a 240v appliance. They are 120/240v. Big difference.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =