Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a few outlets onto a 2 pole 20A breaker

Hello,
    I have searched the forums first but have not seen an answer to my question. In my 125 amp breaker box, I have an unused 2 pole 20 amp breaker. I currently do not have any 120V outlets in my basement and would like to install 2 or 3. Can I use this 20 amp breaker to do this? The outlets would primarily be used for handheld power tools (circular saw, dremel, etc) but none of which would run at the same time.

If so, do you recommend 14/2 or 12/2 wire (as I've read about before). There is not much moisture in the basement at all if that helps.

I have searched on Google but have not found any easy to follow diagrams on how to do this. The connection to the breaker seems pretty straightforward and of course wiring a socket seems easy, but what about 2-3 sockets in series? Is each socket just wired to the previous socket and the first socket wired to the breaker?

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

This is a wonderful forum.

-Mike

Mike,

Welcome to the forum.

Check out this post... http://homerepairforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=612 .

Yes you are right about wiring the new outlets in series. Pretty straight forward. Feed from the panel to the first outlet and then continue along to the next.

Post back if you wish diagrams or further info.

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
    'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

quote:Originally posted by uconn2323

Hello,
      I have searched the forums first but have not seen an answer to my question. In my 125 amp breaker box, I have an unused 2 pole 20 amp breaker. I currently do not have any 120V outlets in my basement and would like to install 2 or 3. Can I use this 20 amp breaker to do this? The outlets would primarily be used for handheld power tools (circular saw, dremel, etc) but none of which would run at the same time.

If so, do you recommend 14/2 or 12/2 wire (as I've read about before). There is not much moisture in the basement at all if that helps.

I have searched on Google but have not found any easy to follow diagrams on how to do this. The connection to the breaker seems pretty straightforward and of course wiring a socket seems easy, but what about 2-3 sockets in series? Is each socket just wired to the previous socket and the first socket wired to the breaker?

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

This is a wonderful forum.

-Mike
      Take the breaker out of the panel. If there is a pin between the two levers, remove it. Now you have two 20 amp single pole breakers. If it only has one lever, replace it with two single pole breakers.
      Use 12-2 romex for this. (If the run from the breaker panel is over 100 feet, use 10-2 romex.)

Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!
      <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

Hey Uconn!. I just noticed your name. Uconn here too!
        Go Huskies!

<i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

Thank you so much guys! That is exactly the info I was looking for.

I appreciate your help.

Hey Joe, go Huskies!

-Mike

Comment

One more quick question. Since I will be using 12/2 wire, can I get away with a 15 amp GFCI receptacle or must I use a 20 amp receptacle. The load on the outlet will never be more than 15 amps.

Thanks!

-Mike

Thank you so much guys! That is exactly the info I was looking for.

I appreciate your help.

Hey Joe, go Huskies!

-Mike

Comment

Since your using 12/2 wire ,the 20 amp breaker would be ok. But, if your SURE your only going to put 15 amps MAX on this circuit, then by all means use a 15 amp. it's SAFER to have a lower fuse than a too high one. Hube

Comment

Thanks again for your help guys! It's all done and only took about 3 hours and about $50. Well worth it! I couldn't have done it without your help.

I was able to split the double pole 20a breaker up and make two breakers out of it like Joe suggested. I wired the washer machine to one of the breakers, and then three other 15a sockets to the other breaker in series like Jimmer said. I used 15a receptacles after Hube confirmed my theory.

Of course, they are all GFCI receptacles since it is a basement and they are just safer any way, and worth the extra money.

Thanks again for your help!

-Mike

Comment

Thanks again for your help guys! It's all done and only took about 3 hours and about $50. Well worth it! I couldn't have done it without your help.

I was able to split the double pole 20a breaker up and make two breakers out of it like Joe suggested. I wired the washer machine to one of the breakers, and then three other 15a sockets to the other breaker in series like Jimmer said. I used 15a receptacles after Hube confirmed my theory.

Of course, they are all GFCI receptacles since it is a basement and they are just safer any way, and worth the extra money.

Thanks again for your help!

-Mike

good job Mike! No doubt your Uconn education helped. Go Huskies!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =