Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help installing plug-in lights (no joke)

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help installing plug-in lights (no joke)

Ok, here is the problem. I want to install cabnet lights along with a new light where the old sink light is. The problem is all the new lights are plugins. The wireing for the old light inside the cabnet (which is connected to a switch)is only 1 white wire and 1 black wire. How can I make this into an outlet? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Is it pretty thick wire? 12 gauge? Romex? Nevertheless, you can buy the following items:
    single gang box
    15 amp electrical outlet
    face plate
    electrical tape

First of all, flip the breaker that the lights are on. Make sure it is off before you touch any of it. Mount the gang box somewhere inconspicuous. Run the black and white wires through one of the holes in the gang box. Then attach the black and white wires to the electrical outlet, per the directions that comes with the outlet. Put a piece of electrical tape around the contacts. Mount the electrical outlet in the gang box, being careful not to have any exposed wires. Now mount the face plate to the electrical outlet, and you are done. Plug in your lights, flip back on the breaker, and the lights should work.

Make sense?

Welcome to the forum! [8D]
    Try

Comment

Thanks for your response Troy!

With your help I think I can install one of the kits, however I would like to install both which would require 2 outlets and I only have 1 of each wire, 1 black and 1 white. Is this even possible?

Again, thanks for any help.

Comment

The electrical outlets will have two contacts on each side. You can connect the two outlets together with small pieces of the black and white wire.

So it goes power source -> first plug -> second plug

Is that what you mean? By electrical outlet, I mean one that has two receptacles. Would that suffice?
        Try

Comment

I'll give it a try, thanks Troy!

Comment

Working...
          X
          =