Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFCI question

As I understand, any exterior duplex socket must be a GFCI socket. My question is does that still apply if the previous socket in the circuit (interior) is a GFCI socket?

I'm setting up a fountain just off the front door in a flowerbed. To get power to it I have to install an external socket on an external wall. I'm planning on running about 4 feet of 12/3 nomex through conduit from a prexisting GFCI socket in the garage, through the exterior wall to a new exterior socket. I've been told a GFCI socket will protect up to two additional standard sockets in a series circuit. Does this change the requirement for the external GFCI requirement? If not, would two consecutive GFCI sockets in a circuit present a problem?

downstream outlets usually are wired to the bottom two screws of a standard gfci. this way when it trips the downstrean outlets are protected. you can use a standard outlet provided you install a sticker on this (these) outlets indicating they are gfci protected. In lieu of running regular romex cable, IMO I'd run 12/2 with ground type UF cable to your outlets AND protect the ouside run (exposed) in pvc conduit for mechanical protection.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =