Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grounds not connected

I changed a couple of light switches the other day and noticed the bare copper ground wires of the 12/3 wire in the box weren't connected to the switch. Should they be?

the bare grounds should be connected to the box if its metal and the switch green screw.- if a plastic box then just the switch yoke's green screw

Comment

Since then I've opened 4 more and none of the grounds in any were connected either to the switch or the metal box. On multiple switch boxes the ground wires were crimped together but, not connected to anything. I'm in the process of changing all the older simple toggle switches to new rocker switches. It didn't make sense to me so as I go along I've been connecting the grounds to the green screw posts on the switches. I've been having to splice a bare copper wire extension to each to get them to reach. I use wire nuts to make the connection. Am I screwing something up?

I'm wondering if I should check all the duplex sockets. Wasn't planning on changing those but it appears I should check a couple and see what's up.

Comment

yeah, would be a good idea to check those too! your method of using another jumper is a common way of doing so.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =