Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steel stud electrical boxes

working with steel studs for the first time in refinishing my basement. I picked up the grommets for the studs, but am unsure what type of boxes to use for outlets. I saw clips that attach box to studs, but this leaves box flush with back of sheetrock. All other types of boxes seem to be made for wood studs. Any help is much appreciated.

There is an insert that goes over the box to bring it closer to the edge of the sheetrock. Use that with the boxes and clips. It will have the screw holes to attach your outlets to.

Welcome to the forum!
    Try

Comment

Homie,

Welcome to the forum.

I use either the IBERVILLE model # CI3102-SSX which is a box with the flange for steel studs already attached or I cut a 12" piece of 2x4 and mount that to the steel stud and then attach a standard electrical box to it. This also makes it easy to secure the cable using a standard wire staple to the 2x4 within 8" of the box which is required by code.

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Thanks for the responses. That also answers the next question of how the cable is secured at the box. Does the cable also need to be secured along the run, or are the grommets sufficient?

And thanks for the welcome. This is a terrific forum. What a discovery!!!

Comment

Homie,

Glad to help. After the wire is secured within 8" of the box it must be secured every 4.5' after. The grommets work for the horizontal run and you need a product like this for keeping cables back and 1 1/4 inch away from the front edge of the stud on vertical runs.

Check out this site...

With detailed installation instructions here...

Visit your local electrical supply house to see if they carrying a product similar.

Jim

Comment

Jimmer,

Thanks for the response. And the picture too. I'l check it out at the supply house nearby. Looking forward to starting the electrical part of the refinishing.

Thanks again, and have a Happy New Year.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =