Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper series wiring for duplex outlets

Hi. New to the forum here, sorry if I've missed my answer somewhere else.

I'm wiring some new outlets in my brothers basement, all in series. I've been running the incoming hot and neutral to the top two screws on the outlet, and then coming off the bottom two to go to the next outlet.

What concerns me is that as I'm going along wiring these up, it occurs to me that at each outlet, the rest of the circuit is being supplied by the little tabs that connect the upper and lower portion of the individual outlet.

Is this 'tab' sufficient to carry on the circuit? Or should I be splicing with a wire nut at each box with a third wire from the nut to the outlet?

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks!

BTW These outlets will be primarily used for a computer and some lighting. 6 outlets total, wired with 12/3 on a 15a breaker.

The "little tabs" are perfectly suited to supply current to the downstream devices. As long as you stay within the load restictions of the circuit. Which in your case is 20 amps given your wire size. So you should increase the breaker to 20 from 15. My question is why did you use 12-3? Are you trying to create two circuits? For one 20 amp circuit the correct wire is 12-2. (you don't count the ground wire).

Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!

btw, if you indeed did use 12-3, it's not a problem, just cap off the red and use the black and white. I was just wondering why you used it, as usually this is done to create two circuits.
    <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

Thanks very much for the information.

I am actually using 12/2.. I'm just so used to power and speaker cable where the /2 represents the actual number of conductors.. mis-type on my part.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =