Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combo Switch / Outlet wiring question

Hi there from a novice!

I need to change a Combo Switch / Outlet in the bathroom. The new one has 5 screws - Brass; silver and green on one side and 2 black screws on the other side.

There are 6 wires - 2 Black 2 White and 2 Red

What goes where?

Any pointers gratefully received. Many thanks.

What was the arrangement on the original switch, whites wire-nutted together????. black wire to one side of switch with red on other side, need more info to try and figure out how circuit is wired

Comment

one black and one white will be your hot feed to the outlet part. nickel screw and brass screw. the switch part only has two brass screws. if the outlet switch has a common feed then there'll be a small jumper tab between two brass screws on the same side. ok there's two 14/3 cables in the box -

Comment

The old combo setup was different to the new one. The wires all went into the back of it and you couldn't see exactly how it was wired.

I do believe that the white wires were taped together.

There is a jumper tab between the 2 brass screws.

Comment

can you get me a make and stock number off the switch. is it a decora switch? outlet/switch on one yoke?

Comment

combo switch outlet

its difficult to say exactly how it was wired - if the switch/combination is a standard single pole switch and one receptacle and you say there are two three wire cables in the box, then one would have to assume one pair, black/white is a hot feed. what the red wire is for could be anybody's guess. maybe it is just the wire the guy had that wired the place and the red isn't used at all. if that be the case then two whites would be wire nutted together and with a pigtail put a white under the nickel screw on the outlet. put its "partner" black on the outlet brass screw. on the side of the combo is a break out tab. don't break it out. the remaining black goes to the other side of the switch part [not the same side as the feed.] look at diagram you get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Comment

The combo sitch/outlet is standard.

Thanks for the wire diagram. Should I be combining the white wires and joining them both to the nickel screw?

Comment

Working...
              X
              =