Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Ceiling Fan

I want to install a ceiling fan in a room that has no existing wiring. I would like the ceiling fan to be controlled by a wall switch. I currently have a wall switch that turns on/off one outlet. I took the face plates off the switch and the outlet. The switch has 1 line coming into it with black/white/ground. The outlet has 3 lines coming into it. From what I can tell one is coming from the switch, one from the ceiling, one to another outlet.

How should I proceed to wire this? I dont think I can just go from the switch.

Thanks.

Does the room you want the fan in have access to above the ceiling or is it on a first floor with room(s) above it.

Comment

Sorry I should have given more info.

Its on the second floor and I have access to the attic above it.

From what I have been reading online the switch is using a 'switch loop' so wire coming into the switch from the outlet has 2 'hot' wires and no neutral (which I will need for the ceiling fan). I have already ran the line from the attic to the switch (nothing connected yet).

Is it possible to have the outlet 'hot' all the time and then the switch would have a neutral?

Thanks!

Comment

if you know where the switch loop is going, then, yes , you can wire it to be your hot feed to the existing switchbox. at the outlet you will have three cables. the whites of two cables will be spliced together. the black of one will be spliced into the cable going to your switchbox with its return connected to one half of your receptacle. the other one is the downstream feed to the rest of your receptacles. unsplice this connection and connect all the blacks together and all the whites together. replace the outlet without breaking off the brass tab between the two brass screws. you will now have a hot line into your switchbox. from the switchbox run a three wire to your fan location. whites get spliced together. the black from your feed goes to a common on a two switch on one yoke device. one load comes off one brass screw [black wire of the three wire and the other load the red wire goes to the other load. connctions at the fan are white - neutral, black the fan motor and blue the fan light.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =