Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• furnace transformer

I am trying to wire my furnace so that when the thermostat kicks on the fan runs but not light the gas burner. I have been able to remove a wire that keeps the burner from igninting but the fan won't come on unless the heat exchanger is up to a certain temp. I can't figure out how to go around this. Any ideas?

so basically you want the fan to turn on when the setpoint on the thermostat drops to a certain point that would normally call for heat. the fan is wired to a plenum limit switch which has a helicoil inside the plenum. there's an aluminum disk that rotates and closes a set of contacts once plenum temperature is reached. so, what you might need to do is install a small 1/2 hp contactor wired in parallel with the plenum switch with a 24 volt control.

Comment

fan control

look at this diagram. it uses a potter brumfield single pole single thro relay with a 24 volt coil. the contacts are wired across the plenum limit. one side is your feed to the plenum switch [relay] and the other is the load terminal to the fan [relay] the coil of the contactor is wired into your 24 volt control circuit. one side is the control neutral the other comes off your thermostat return to the burner relay.

Comment

I wired the switch in the heat exchanger ( tied the two wires together) and the fan does'nt run. The thermostat has a fan only position but I don't know if the furnance has that option. I have the scheme of the furnance but I can't understand it that well. Any ideas?

Comment

scan a pdf file and send it to me.

Comment

You need a heat/cool thermostat and wire it just like you have central A/C, except you obviously will not have a wire run to a condensor.
            Heat/cool t-stats have a "fan only" function.

You will definitely need more than two wires between the t-stats and furnace though.
            You will need the white and red you have plus a green. The green goes on the G terminal on both the t-stat and furnace.
            You'll need to pull a new 3-wire thermostat cable. This is 18/3 cable.
            If I were you I'd run 5-wire just in case
            Last edited by Speedy Petey; 11-01-2008, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =