Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire Routing for Under-Cabinet Fixture

I have an 18" fluorescent fixture that will be installed in the corner of our kitchen under the cabinets. There needs to be about 10" of exposed cable tucked up against the bottom of the cabinet, I have some armored cable for the job. I have a romex connector for the fixture, but what I need to know is if it is OK (up to code) to put the cable directly through the wood brace and through the wall at the very bottom of the cabinet, of if there needs to be some kind of box installation with another romex connector to keep the wire from being tugged on. There are a lot of DIY lighting installations tips out there, but I have not seen any clear guidance on this point. Thanks in advance for your responses!

armored cable or "bx" affords the mechanical protection needed for the cables. a single hole cable clamp will hold the cable from slipping. armored cable can be snaked in hollow wall spaces as long as it is a continuous length "no splices." if you were to splice the cable say, under a counter and in a wall, it must be accessible with a removable cover. I'm assuming that you'll continue the run with romex cable.

Comment

I will use the armored cable "bx" (have also seen designation "AC") all the way to the outlet box which is very close to where the bx will go into the wall. Maybe I did not understand your answer correctly, is it OK to stick the cable directly through a hole in the wall?

Comment

sure, that is no problem. the cable will be making a ninety degree turn either up or down to your outlet. the ribbing of the cable jacket will catch on the hole's edge but to be sure install a 3/8" bx clamp where the cable goes through the hole. might as well put another clamp near to the fixture to keep everything snug up against the cabinet bottom.

Comment

Thank you for answering my question! I really don't want to do anything to the house that is improper. We do plan on selling it someday, and some of the home inspectors around here are very meticulous (which is good).

Comment

Working...
          X
          =