Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing new electrical outlet

Hello,
    New to this forum and trying to learn as I go. I would like to add a new electrical outlet in our garage that we can use to plug in the Craftsman phone we got for Christmas. It only requires a normal electircal plug that is close to a phone line. The phone line is no problem but the outlet is antoher story. As long as the circuit is not overloaded can I just splice the wire of an existing outlet and take the new wires to a new location and put in an outlet?
    Your help is greatly appreciated.
    We work on Jeeps all the time but this is a new area for me!
    Thanks much

Donna

Hi Donna,
    You're right. Jeeps are a different area.
    Phones require a minimal amount of power, so you should not worry about just tapping off an existing outlet.
    Joe

Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!
    <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

I have a similar situation, and I just want to make sure.

I installed a Plasma TV, I wall mounted it and ran the wires into a storage area behind the wall the TV is on that I have full access to. There is an outlet directly below the TV that I also have access to from behind. I considered just putting a blank plate on this outlet and turning to face inside the closet, but I prefer not to lose the outlet. Basically, I want to tap off of this outlet inside the storage area and face the new outlet/outlet box inside the closet for the all the media components I will use.

I know Plasma can draw a little more juice than the average electrical device, so I want to make sure I am not going to overload the circuit. My electrician put in a good amount of circuits in this area when it was installed so I think I am ok, just want to make sure and see if there is a way to make sure.

So I was going to cut the line from behind the wall, hook up the new outlet in the new box and VOILA I should be good to go correct? Like a Daisy chain essentially correct?

Thank you in advance!

Comment

To know if you can connect your equipment to this circuit then you first need to add up the load of all of the devices that you will connect to it. Open the breaker for this circuit and identify all receptacles and lighting on it. If it is a 15 amp circuit then you are limited to 1800 watts max. If it is a 20 amp circuit then you are limited to 2400 watts max.

Add up the total load of all the tv's devices and if you fall under the above limits then you can tap this circuit and install another receptacle. You do not need to cut the cable to do this. You just need to add a piece of Romex wire of the same gauge between the existing receptacle box and the new receptacle box.

This link will show you how to do that and how to connect the wires.
        http://www.rd.com/content/openConten...ontentId=18145

Comment

Working...
        X
        =