Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with wiring switch-outlet combo

Hi folks -

Great forum site! I have searched and read several threads regarding the wiring of a switch-receptacle combo, but none that are exactly what I'm looking for.

My goal is fairly simple and I think it's probably straightforward, but I would like to get a definitive answer before proceeding.

I would like to wire a Leviton switch-outlet combo (15A). I've also attached a pic that should show my current outlet and desired goal. (Please note that in the diagram, the white wires are shown as blue, so you can see it.)

Existing outlet is wired with line coming in - black (hot) and white going to line on the outlet, and load black and white going out (as shown in pic).

I would like to replace this outlet with the switch/outlet combo, and have the switch control the outlet.

If there were no load on this outlet, I think I would simply put the line black (hot) to the brass screw, and the line white to the silver screw.

However, given I need to tie in the load in this box, how is that done? In the diagram, I show the switch/outlet combo I have, and I'm hoping that somebody can either respond with a quick diagram, or simply talk me through it. I'm wondering if I'm on the right track, but don't know the proper way to tie the load into this...

Any help or direction to wiring diagrams that show this situation is greatly appreciated!

BSN321
    Last edited by bsn321; 11-24-2008, 10:13 PM.

switch-outlet comb

look at the following. the switch/combo will work and the downstream loads will be unswitched

Comment

Absolutely awesome. Thank you so much.

One more quick one: What length should those "jumpers" be? 3", 4", 5"...? I assume there is a code that applies to almost everything...

Thanks again!

Comment

anything really convenient - minimum I'd say 6 inches.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =