Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting a double switch

I recently upgraded the switch to my celing fan. The previous setup had a double switch in which the top switch controled power to an outlet. The bottom swicth provided power to the ceiling fan. I installed a new combination switch which now controls the ceiling fan (I can turn on the fan or light independantly). I left the original double switch because I could not figure out how to replace it with a single pole switch. I would like a setup that has a single switch that still controls the power to the outlet and provides continuous power to my ceiling fan switch. The problem that my diagram shows, is that the original switch was jumped. Thus will I need to use a double pole/double throw switch to control power to the outlet while also providing power to the ceiling fan switch? thanks

leviton makes a decora switch that has three single pole devices on one yoke. you can use one switch for your outlet(s), one for the fan and one for the light if you have the proper number of wires for the fan. a double pole double throw won't suffice your application. in onw position it wil be on, in the other position the original will be off and the next circuit will be on and vice versa.

Comment

The decora switch would work however, if at all possible I want to use the new combination switch I installed for the ceiling fan/light. It has a dimmer for the light and a 4 setting fan speed option. It eliminates the need to adjust the fan speed from using the chain on the fan. So I am reluctant to trash it. Any thoughts on how I can work with the current combination switch?

Comment

the existing single pole switch can be wired to control the outlets. give me some idea how many wires on the dimmer for the fan lights [ 2 wires?] and how many for the fan speed control [ 2 wires again?]

Comment

The dimmer switch has two wires out to the ceiling fan. One specifically controls the light (dimmer), the other controls the speed/power of the fan. The picture I included is correct, although it looks like one wire is coming out of the combination switch and is split into two (to the left of the diagram). A more correct diagram would have two separate wires coming out of the combo switch to the fan/light. Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X
          =