Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something not to do

When I purchased this house I had it home inspected, I couldn't do the home inspection myself as it would have been too biased as I am a home inspector.

The home inspector said he didn't like the sub-panel in the garage area since it had a 50 amp circuit hanging off the side for a welder (the only thing he found bad about this panel).
    After I got down here and moved in I was looking at that panel and tried to trace it back to the main panel on the other side of the house and couldn't see a breaker for this panel. Since I was too busy unpacking I really didn't have time to mess with it anymore, Over this past weekend I had to move the stove so I went down and turned off the breaker for the stove. Come to find out the #6 wire going to the stove is spliced inside the wall and ran to the main breaker feeding the sub-panel. Think this is bad? The #14 wire feeding the microwave is ran from this sub-panel and connected not to a breaker in this panel but to main connection doubled up with the #6 wire feeding this panel that is connected to the stove 60 amp breaker.

The real bad part is the #6 wire that is spliced inside the wall looks to be original and being the same wire that's ran all the to the main panel and sub-panel. I woud like to meet the electrician so I know who not to use.

Another company not to hire;

I have a home warranty with this house, my electric heater went out and kept blowing fuses. Now I am a certified HVAC tech and have kept up my license even though I am doing home inspections but I shouldn't have to do this repair as I have the warranty that came with this house. The first company that was called in by the home warranty company was told I had electric heat and they thought it was baseboard heat so they told the company they didn't do electric forced air heat. Another company was called and found the problem to be the main 4-60amp fuse block in the unit itself was cracked and heating up the fuses but the warranty company wanted a second opinion due to the age of my unit. The next and last company came out and I told him (I can't call him a tech) what the other service tech had found. He said it's not so bad at least you still have a 100 amp breaker protecting you so he was going to put a piece of copper pipe in the fuse holder to make it work. I told him he was NOT doing any such thing to this unit and he was to leave my house, he couldn't understand why I was so mad. I asked him how good his insurance was since my house could have burnt down with his repair and he didn't say anything. Now I am waiting for the replacement furnace and I am going to install it myself.
Working...
X
=